REI - The Evil Empire

Doug

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I could care less what REI pays its executives. I am not a member and I don't shop there cause their prices are too high. There are a lot of local shops with better deals on climbing gear. I disagree with the article in only one respect, I don't think that REI is trying to be "the walmart of the outdoor industry" because there prices are too high!

I could care less what REI pays its executives. I am not a member

Fine. But the "members" or shareholders should have a say in the running of the corporation. They are the owners after all. REI has management has marginalized the owners (members) so they can run it as a personal fifedome.

They are just like any other profit oriented corporation, sadly. The entire idea of a co-op (get good deals for your memebers) is gone, gone, gone. I first realized this when I went to the flagship store in Denver- they have a walk-in FREEZER to test outerwear, and it is all so damn shi-shi it is obvious where your money is going. ALso, take a look at the ratio of real gear to Gramichis and Patugucci fashion in the last few catalogs. That's where the damn profit is....

Shop the sales, forget 'em the rest of the time.

Edited by korup

you have to do it right.. . every time REI has a sale.. the local shops like Climb Max will honor that sale. Use your REI visa when you purchase items at the local shops so you can get the 1% kick back and then at the end of the year use your dividend to get a bunch of junk you dont need.

I'm tired of the discussion.

cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

So don't fucking read the thread!

I don't want to burn my membership card.

I want my fucking money!

There's nothing like being stuck in a bad relationship, knowing it, but still refusing to leave. rolleyes.gif

You're not getting your money back.

If you want to continue to bitch about how Nordstroms (REI) doesn't stalk what you want and charges too much on an open forum then get used to comments from the peanut gallery. tongue.gif

The last word in REI is "Incorporated". It has been that way since about 1954.

I used to work there. I still shop there once in a while. If you don't like how they run the operation or private issues, then you can always get a refund on your membership.

REI is doing well becuase people continuously purchase from there.

In regards to that average annual pay thing I don't buy it. REI seems to have more turnover of employees at the retail level than Costco...and Walmart has even a higher turnover of employees than REI.

(snip...) Use your REI visa when you purchase items at the local shops so you can get the 1% kick back and then at the end of the year use your dividend to get a bunch of junk you dont need.

Better yet - wait until July (or whenever it is) and request a check for your dividend from your 1% kick back. (You don't have to use the money at REI y'know...) Then you can go take the money and buy more stuff from the local small guys and MEC.

Personally... I like the little smirk the MEC cashiers give you when you hand them your REI VISA card!

-kurt

i shop at REI because when it comes to return policies, theirs simply CANNOT be beat. i've worn shoes for 7 months then taken them back no questions asked for new ones. I also support local shops like AMH though and buy from them a lot!