Bailey to Skyline route?

Hoosierdaddy

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bet you could climb Mount Queets from Dodwell-Rixon Pass (or via Queets Glacier from the Basin) and traverse Noyes, Meany, Seattle and drop down to the Skyline trail.

Never been in this area, but Olympic Climbers Guide describes traversing/climbing these peaks from the Mount Seattle/Low divide area all the way out to Mt Queets.

Here is my summer plan with my son: Traverse of Olympus Range...

Day 1: Hike from N Fk Quinalt TH to Twelvemile/Trapper Shelter.

Day 2: Hike over Low Divide and down to Chicago Camp. Continue up to Elwha Basin.

Day 3: Climb Elwha Snowfinger, cross DW Pass, traverse Queets Basin and climb Humes Glacier. Descend Blizzard Pass to Camp Pan.

Day 4: Carry all gear...Climb Athena, East, Middle, West Peaks of Olympus. Drop to Snowdome and camp at Panic Peak Saddle.

Day 5: Climb Mount Tom from Snowdome and return. Pick up camp and drop down to Glacier Meadows or Elk Lake.

Day 6: Hike out to Hoh RS.

Any thoughts? Too optimistic?

Alright, since everyone is getting juiced up about summer Olympics plans, I'll throw ours into the fray:

Up the S. Fork of the Ho and up the ridge to the Valhallas (2 days).

Day 3. Climb & explore Valhallas.

Day 4. Run the ridge to Olympus.

Day 5. Climb Olympus summit(s), camp at Sacred Lakes.

Day 6. Climb & explore Ridge of the Gods (NW of Olympus).

Day 7. Schwack down the old Falls Creek trail, which reportedly does not exist anymore. Cross the Ho and trot on out.

We will add another day on each end to allow for weather & travel to and from.

Our plan is probably more optimistic than yours Fairweather (at least you'll be on trail a good part of the way), but I like your plan too.

This is similar to the trip that Gabiot (from France) did a couple years back, except he did the Baileys after reaching Olympus.

John

What do you think the brush crash from the top of Mount Tom, down the White Glacier, and out to Elk Lake would be like? It looks doable on the map. tongue.gif

Also; ever been up/down Tom Creek from the alp below Mount Tom?

I hope you'll post pics of your Valhallas trip!! Wouldn't out-and-back from Olympus be easier than the trip up the south fork? ...Or am I missing the point? cool.gif Has anyone climbed Olympus from this approach via Hubert Glacier/and scramble? Hmmmm...

With the low snowpack this year 2 days is definitely reasonable to get to the Valhallas. I went labor day w/e of '03 and the creek approach was almost completely dry. Queets bottom approach is cruising easy. Bigass horsecamp just past the end of the trail (mile 16 or so)

I've never heard of the Queets approach to the Valhallas being used. The valley bottom looks broader and easier than the S Fork Hoh, though. I'm looking at the TOPO.... Did you climb up Kilkelly Creek drainage? Right fork higher up? Not that I'd actually do it, but was the Queets trail suitable for a mountain bike? blush.gif

Now you've got me thinking.....

I've never heard of the Queets approach to the Valhallas being used. The valley bottom looks broader and easier than the S Fork Hoh, though. I'm looking at the TOPO.... Did you climb up Kilkelly Creek drainage? Right fork higher up? Not that I'd actually do it, but was the Queets trail suitable for a mountain bike? blush.gif

I got a couple thousand feet up Kilkelly creek. 152highpoint__2_-med.jpg

is a pic from below the highpoint. The maintained section of the trail (8miles ish?) could probably be mountain biked, the unmaintained section (7-8 or so) has enough logs and other problems it'd be more trouble than it's worth. Excellent camping along the river bottom - if you don't mind the wandering elk.

Wow. That pic looks like classic Olympic Mtn wild/mysterious. Thanks. Do you have any thoughts on your route versus S Fk Hoh? Which would you try if you were to return to The Valhallas? Was the Queets River ford easy enough? That South Fork Hoh route looks like it really narrows down at a couple of the river bends. I remember reading about a guy falling to his death on the hike out over 20 years ago. If I recall, he was close to climbing every named Oly summit over 5000 feet!

I've been told by a few guys who know the area that the S Fork Ho is the lesser of 2 evils as far as approaching the Valhallas. Queets is easy initially, but apparently real tough gaining the ridge.

We aren't looking to do a down and back kind of trip. With doing as little backtracking as possible I wanted to hit these 3 areas primarily: Valhallas, Olympus, and Ridge of the Gods.

I do plan to take hordes of photos!

I found this image online. The author erroneously labeled the picture as "Mount Queets", but it is clearly a picture of the Valhallas, Geri-Freki Glacier, and much of the ridge traverse toward the Olympus Massif that you are looking to do. I'm not sure which Olympus summit he took the image from. (probably Athena or east peak?) I don't recall this spectacular view of The Valhallas from the west peak. Again; not my image! Thought it might be of interest to this thread though. Right click properties to link to the author's website.pict0153.jpg

I've been told by a few guys who know the area that the S Fork Ho is the lesser of 2 evils as far as approaching the Valhallas. Queets is easy initially, but apparently real tough gaining the ridge.

To reach the point where I took the picture was 2-3 hours from camp. I'd estimate another 2-3 to the ridge, but the terrain was pretty nasty, steep grass/heather or scree. Not fun stuff.

I'd like to try and get up there this summer, we'll see.

• 11 months later...

Just noticed this thread. The photo is mine, shot from West Peak, and after looking at the map, I believe you're right Fairweather. That is not Mt. Queets. The park map as a couple unlabled white patches (glaciers) slightly off to the SSW of the West Peak...I belive that's the direction the pic is looking towards.