Fire Fighting in Patagonia

I just returned from slaving away three 14 hour days in a row fighting a fire in Torres Del Paine National Park in Chile. The fire was started by an American tourist with an MSR stove... as of now I belive 25,000 hectars have been burnt and the fire is still going strong due to winds. The tourist was charged 100 dollars at the time of his departure from the park when the fire was thought to be easily controlled, and then fled to the United States. And we are out the working our asses off for nothing but free food, for this guys stupid mistake. Now I´m out of work and have to come home due to the park being evacuated for who knows how long. Due to the lack of trained fire fighters in the region us voulenteers where on the front lines of the fire, face to face with 40 foot flames. Not to mention on my 19th birthday, shouldnt I be out getting drunk as shit bigdrink.gif? Two trekkers in the park where killed due to smoke inhilation. I figured this was something worthy to post, as how much one persons stupid actions can effect so many people. I´m waiting to get called back there right now to go do it again...

Also an American climber Henery Edwards was killed by rock fall last thursday on the Col Bitch between the Torre Central and the Torre Norte(for any one farmillar with Paine), in the National Park.

So thats this weeks shitty news from Patagonia.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic