Help an Alaskan find some Washington ice!!!!

Kraken

Hey everyone. I'm a lifelong Washingtonian who left the state to attend college in Alaska after graduating HS in 2003. I've discovered the wonders of hte outdoors up here including ice climbing. This is my first season and I'm already leading WI4s and have all the gear (including a sexy pair of vipers!)

Anyways, I'm coming down to WA for two weeks for spring break and want to continue climbing ice. I've scoured google and the web, searched for that book "Washington Ice: A climbing guide" everywhere, but can't find it.

I will be in my hometown of bremerton in Kitsap County on the peninsula. I'm willing to drive a few hours for a weekend of ice.

I've heard that I-90 has some good climbs, baker, etc. I was thinking over the pass in the columbia valley, i've heard there is spectacular ice there.

Considering that this winter has been quite warm, i'm skeptical of the amount of ice anywhere near the puget sound.

I've just really got to do some climbing when i'm down in my old home, and i want suggestions. There aren't a whole lot of resources online that i've been able to find, and any input would be GREATLY appriciated.

I'm a solid climber and, if you are looking for a partner for a weekend or a day...anything, let me know.

Hell, maybe I can even return the favor if anyone ever comes to Alaska hahaha.gif

Edited by Clintoris

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When is your spring break?

Even in a stellar year, the ice in Washington is fast disappearing by the last week of Feb or first week of March. This is not a stellar year.

The ice in Banff typically lasts about 2 weeks longer: third week or March or so is typically the end of the season. I would suggest you head there if you have 2 weeks of time, and your spring break is in March.

Cheers, Alex

Washington Pass is scheduled to open soon. If the opening coincides with your break you could do some fun alpine ice routes:

East Face of Cuthroat

South West Couloir of South Early winter spire

Early winters Couloir (Couloir between NEWS and SEWS on the east side)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...