Vancouver International Mountain Film Festival

sunyata

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better than Banff?????????????

This years line up turns me off. I'd like to go see Jojo on tues, and the Croft show of course. I think I won't go to the Croft show, because then I'll be contributing money to the idiot show about the quadripalegic who didn't climb the grand wall, and I just can't stomach that.

I enjoyed last years show, but I don't think it's as good as Banff's show this year.

I was volunteer last few years. It's always very, very good. Still remember very inspirational slide show from Bubba Blanshard. I am goint to Joffre this weekend and I will miss great show from Peter Croft.

Few years ago I missed his show (I remember was near Commercial Dr. and it was sold out). It could be great to see his Sierra alpine Traverse (if he plan to talk about that).

Another good event could be about nutrition (again Peter Croft and Jim Whittaker).

Z

Edited by Zoran

Better than Banff?????????????

This years line up turns me off. I'd like to go see Jojo on tues, and the Croft show of course. I think I won't go to the Croft show, because then I'll be contributing money to the idiot show about the quadripalegic who didn't climb the grand wall, and I just can't stomach that.

I enjoyed last years show, but I don't think it's as good as Banff's show this year.

i fail to see how you will be contributing money to the show about Brad. They don't pay the filmmakers to show these movies.... the film makers enter them for the chance to win a prize. The rest of the lineup that evening sounds awesome, Tim Oneills new film and a bunch of other good stuff. thumbs_up.gif

it was alright, the guy may be a quaddy but he can still move some of his shoulders and forearms... he can jumar but not very well or very fast. i thought it was cool. they fix a route over up from the skies for him to try, so people can still climb on the grand without getting blocked off.

Here's a link to Brad's website: http://www.verticalchallenge.org/

Bogen, why the negative attitude towards his efforts?

bz was a good climber dealt a really tough hand; he still wants to get vertical and it all works towards providing hope/ motivation to others affected by spinal injury. brad's a good guy and is doing his best to make lemonade; I only hope I'd have the same drive if I found myself under similar circumstances.

lk

why the negative attitude towards his efforts?

Sorry it came out that way. I was a little baffled at the existence of the film and its presence at the film fest. It's great that this guy's friends got together to haul him up one last cliff, but to make an artsy film about it is too "contrived" for my taste. I didn't realize that he wasn't really a quadripelegic, or that he was trying to do it under his own power.

I mean, "Quadrapeligic fails attempt to climb the Chief" sounds pretty inane, doesn't it?

Yea, I have to admit this particular genre of mtn. film/ adventure isn't for everyone. The whole "climbing for a cause" topic would make a good thread: "Is it worthy of climber-related lit and film (do climbers really want to see it?) or is it more designed for pop press to raise awareness and $$?" I have the same opinion of films about penguins at mtn. film fests (or threatened nomadic tribes, Arctic caribou, Russian kayaking, etc.), the "mtn. culture" umbrella seems to cover a big area.

Not that there's anything wrong with penguins.

• 2 years later...

Well...

Never been compared to the Penguins, but funny.

Really, the 22 min film that Ivan did was for the masses, but still went over well. Really well, actually.. and for a crowd of climbers.

I think maybe climbers don't want to be reminded that they can be injured? Why else would fellow climbs dump on ten years off hard work to get back to something we love? I know I'd help a friend who was injured.

If you want a full thread go to super topo.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=159693&msg=335278#msg335278

It is temping to go off on you guys here – I think I’ve sacrificed more, and worked harder to get onto the rock again. Not to mention accepted more risk, moving into the unknown.. but.. take what ever shots you like. It makes our story better anyway. (that a advice came to me from Erik Weihenmayer)

Oh, and yes quad can move arms etc.. but no hand function.. so it’s like doing chin ups in handcuffs you top rope climbing wimps.

Hugs,

Brad the quad that climbs

funny guy... doesn't matter hey? Only causes nerve damage and bleeding is all... no pain er nothing. Try it some time if the top rope climbing is too much fun.

oh.. I just found this website from my web stats, wondering what slanderous BS was being said by my brethren this time. The film Ivan did just played at vimff this year though?

You can find more nay sayers think on my blog (via links)

Any way.. I'll arm wrestle any of you weekend warriors any day.

broken neck, but still have some spine left,

bee zee

• 2 weeks later...