Looking to get up Liberty Ridge

fogguy

I'm looking for partner(s)to climb Rainer, Liberty Ridge, this spring or summer season. I have much rock, ice and alpine experience. Could hold my own with almost any group.

Is any one needing a partner or a low maintenance addition to a group? Can travel to meet and climb prior to a longer harder trip.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tex is talking about the accidents from last year.

The route is prone to rockfall (even in supposedly "safe" spots like thumb rock), avalanches, bad weather, potentially icy conditions, and you are exposed to all of that for 5000 vertical feet. It's also a unique climb in the cascades due to it's size and consistency and a hell of a lot of fun if everything goes well.

Be prepared and take a rabbit's foot with you.

don't listen to these guys. the route should be in great shape if the freezing level is low enough. go for it, and have fun. Just be careful about rockfall, don't stay roped together if you're not gonna put any pro in, don't fall, and climb as fast as possilbe. it shouldn't take you any more than 4-5 hours above thumb rock to the liberty cap. if you pitch anything out more than the last bergshrund headwall or need more than 1 rest breaks, you are going too slow. that's how people get hurt on this route.

You are correct that early season is probably best for LR.

The White River trailhead is often not open until mid June or so. Thus, mid to late June is traditionally a popular time to climb the route.

It's a whole different ballgame this year. I imagine this will be a bad year for rockfall related injuries on glaciated routes in general and on LR in particular.