I've been humbled

Anna

I see our Stupid freind TRASK is up to antics again, Oh Trask...

Dru, are you still riding that high horse you rode in on. You guys are so clever.

Buy the way Trask, why do you call yourself the Chicken Fucker? Froidian slip? Or did you type out a recent day dream by accident again? Remember, keep those thoughts private. Crazy Character.

OK I just read this WHOLE damn thing and I'm gonna pipe up before it gets removed again.

Main point: People bashed the meanie naysayers, and the bashers had a point. Not because their meanieness was mean though, but because their meanieness rendered their messages negatively effectual. After the first couple of jerky posts, Anna came back on and sounded emboldened! When Chips toned down his act it appeared much more effectual. Perhaps this is a lesson for the posters of this board to heed?

Next point: Climbing is dangerous! When someone comes online and posts about how they almost killed themselves, there are a lot of ways to respond, but in my opinion, gushing about how climbing is so great, and encouraging that person to go right back out there, is NOT the thing to do. It's ANNA's business. She knows what's up with climbing and what she does and doesn't like about it. Let her decide. One really shouldn't be encouraging someone to participate in this inherently risky behavior.

• Like 1

Oh well, I see many posts added since I made my post, including Anna's, which addresses my concern about recklessness. Maybe I was wrong. I dunno. [Confused] But I do believe in introspection when you scare the hell out of yourself. Not a knee-jerk "get back on the horse" response. Listen to those who say they were trying to get through to you but you weren't listening. Is it possible, even a little bit, that they were doing so but you chose to hear what what you heard and not to hear what you didn't want to hear? I say this not to criticise, but with humility, as one who has had to do just that myself in the past.

minor points: climbing related advice

Early on someone mentioned Vantage as a good place for the newbie gear leader to learn. No! This is not good advice. Vantage is steep. Thus, finding enough good stances to concentrate on the new task of placing gear is not easy to do. Not to mention that the rock quality is dubious.

People talked about climbing with internet blind dates. Some are willing, some aren't. Let me tell you this, if you post more TR's however insignificant (they don't all have to be as good as Uncle Tricky's) you clue people in to your abilities, and makes these blind dates less blind.

Outer Space is not a good climb to bring climbers of unknown (or known lesser) abilities. The crux is a traverse people!! And the pitch after has a long runout traverse. Also the original start and the Remorse start have unprotected traverses. Plus if someone fell at the crux, there is not a good way to get back on the climb even if they weren't hurt.

Rapping versus lowering from the non-anchor. Highlander hit it best. Downclimb, trying not to weight the anchor. Rapping would appear a poor choice since she would have to untie from the rope to set up the rap, then she wouldn't even have the lower pieces to protect her. Lowering is not going to make that big a difference on the placements, bodyweight vs. 1.67*bodyweight. You'd have to be pretty lucky/unlucky to find an anchor where one of those would hold and the other wouldn't.

• Like 1