I've been humbled

Anna

Don't you understand the original message that Tyrone sent? He is bringing to light the 'attitude' that Anna has and how it can be dangerous when you have it while doing dangerous activities (ie climbing and flying). It's quite obvious that she thinks and truly believes that she knows more than she does, this can be dangerous. Talking about knowing so much about flying and merely in training mode. C'mon guys, it's pretty crystal clear - unsubstantiated EGO.

WOW...way to take a quote and run with it Mr Chip-on-his-shoulder. Did I say I was an accomplished pilot? Did I not mention that I was still training in a 152? That was to imply that it was something I knew quite a bit about, MORE SO THAN CLIMBING!!!....but still a beginner.

Man I guess I shouldn't have been nice, I don't want to fly with you either. I was thinking that maybe you could show me a thing or two about it but forget it. You fuck...you don't even know me and I certainly don't ever want to know you! O.K. I will rephrase it then you son-of-a-bitch....I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING AND YOU KNOW EVERYTHING! No I don't have my commercial, in fact I did my first solo today and it felt FUCKIN cool, my instructor said I rocked his world too on my landings. Not that you even FUCKING care you negative prick. I know there is a lot to know about flying AND climbing....I have already said that time and again...sheesh...BUZZKILL! I am going out and celebrating my milestone day...

quote:

Originally posted by Anna:

WOW...way to take a quote and run with it Mr Chip-on-his-shoulder. Did I say I was an accomplished pilot? Did I not mention that I was still training in a 152? That was to imply that it was something I knew quite a bit about, MORE SO THAN CLIMBING!!!....but still a beginner.

[snip]

I am going out and celebrating my milestone day...

Don't let them get to you Anna. Enjoy your own accomplishments. You take me flying one day, I'll take you climbing. [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Chips:

I would not climb with Anna or fly with her either for that matter. She just said she knows SO MUCH about flying, BUT she is still training in a 152. RED FLAG.

Actually she said "quite a bit" not "so much." I bet she knows a hell of lot more than me. I'd rather climb with someone who has had experiences and learned from them than a pompous ass.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Chips:

C'mon guys, it's pretty crystal clear - unsubstantiated EGO.

Or maybe it's just a love of what she's learning.

[ 11-01-2002, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: snoboy ]

Tyrone:

I don't need to dig through your pile for the odd undigested kernal of corn. Anna started the thread effectively saying "I almost killed myself, what should I do different?" Of the two models of communication you offered, I'd choose the first. While yelling, shame, and insults might work for training a dog, its a piss poor way to talk to a stranger who's aware of her errors and requesting constructive criticism. Where you and Chips perceive a cocky attitude that needs to be smacked, I see someone trying to process fear with a bit of humor. If I said "I know nothing about being a pool shark, but damn I can hit a ping pong ball with a wild backhand swing" do you think I'm really asserting that I can hold my own against a member of the Chinese national team? You've got all the charm and charisma of Agent Orange/Crazy Polish Bob, is it any wonder that a range of people are suggesting in their individual styles that you STFU?

quote:

Originally posted by Off White:

Dude, its the internet, we're all pretty insubstantial. Experience suggests that we're much more polite in the flesh, I didn't see a single eye-gouging hair-pulling fist-swinging tussle at the entire rope up.

So true. I walked away earlier today from what I thought was a pretty interesting thread about learning from such an experience and how to get back on the trad horse; coming back this eve and WHOA!, I see all shit broke loose! Glad that Anna and Shredmax can see above it all. I didn't make the L-worth gig, but I fer sure gotta make the next rope-up.

Cheers [big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by shredmaximus:

Seriously though...what do people think of rapping vs lowering off a questionable anchor? It seems to me rapping would be the way to go but what do I know???

well, if an anchor is shakey in a way that jostling the pieces around could make them come out, then the process of switching from being on belay to being on rappell could make your anchor pull.

i'd stick with lowering: the less time you spend farting around on a weak anchor the better...

also, if you *had to* have a bad anchor because you are in a spot that doesn't take gear well but there's a spot below you that does take gear well, you could be lowered to that point, set a few good pieces, and clip the rope there. so if your upper anchor blows you'll fall on the lower anchor.

all pretty desperate stuff, tho, that i'd rather avoid having to think about in the first place...