I've been humbled

Anna

I have absolutely no ego when it comes to climbing! Now flying on the other hand...

Mister Chips, you probably have a lot of experience I'm sure, and it probably frustrates you when stupid people get off scott free...but I WAS humbled and I KNOW NOW I had no business there. I DO realize I do not have the experience necessary to tackle something like that again...that counts for something right?

Thanks again ya'll for the support!

Trask I'm flyin at 1430, come on down!

trask: I agree I think anna's more than whipped herself enough that there is no need for a dogpile.

She'll be fine, though...that's my suspician...not knowing her, but rereading her initial posts, i think she knows what's up and will get a good base in one way or another via friends or, as Lambone suggested, professional instruction.

My pop's an old air force pilot...so I can identify w/ her flying analogies as i heard them growing up. She'll get that checklist mentality going and there won't be any stopping her...

SO, YOU WANNA RACE FOR ANOTHER PAGE TOP??? [Razz][Razz]

[ 11-01-2002, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: RuMR ]

Anna, that does count for something, and Lambone is correct when he says technical skills can be learned while enthusiasm and a keen sense of adventure cannot, that was well said. You fly planes, me too. They are based on basic fundamental skills taught and learned early and implemented on EVERY flight, no matter how experienced the pilot. I am in no way trying to discourage you from climbing, only to try to send you in the right direction, getting some training and experience down to make the whole thing enjoyable again.

Very good points Shredder. Personally, having climbed sight unseen with several .com climbers, I choose climbs I know I can handle (in case I have to lead the whole thing) or am very specific about my objectives. If I post that I am looking for a partner to climb Dreamer, for instance, I am implying that I am looking for someone up to the task of swapping leads on such a climb. In a cragging situation, like the one you were in, it may be wise to have a conversation beforehand on what everyone is comfortable leading at and their experience. I have no qualms about supplying this kind of information to potential partners as I want them to have just as enjoyable of a day as myself.

Greg W

Yes, that is a difficult one for sure. When you just meet someone you expect them to advise you of their skill and competency level with nothing less than the un-buttered truth. I know when I first climb with someone new I certainly don't jump on something that is at or above my skill level. Get to know the person, there will always be another day to climb with them and push things a little, that is of course if you get along and TRust them and they trust you in return. It kinda sounds like the 'sex on the first date' conversation, go all the way on the first meeting or hold off a while.

MattP, not to go against what I have said in my last post, I have to agree with you on the idea of acting and listening to instincts. There is so much truth to instinctive behaviour.

I would not climb with Anna or fly with her either for that matter. She just said she knows SO MUCH about flying, BUT she is still training in a 152. RED FLAG.

I have a friend, a solid 5.11 - 5.12 sport climber who swore off trad leading after a successful, but very shaky lead of Midway pitch one (Jello Tower).

He'll always be able to climb way harder than I can, but the way this lead affected him underscores what a different game trad climbing is. That "5.5" pitch only becomes "casual" or "laughably easy" with experience.

Glad you are O.K. Anna. I'd follow the advice to do lots of aiding, probably the best way to regain trust in your gear.

--Michael

Ok...... I'll take a stab at jumping into this mess of wisdom and slander. I'm 47 years old and have been climbing since I was 17.

At the end of my first year of climbing I clipped into a rappel I'd personally set up using equipment supplied by the school I attended in Switzerland. The rappel sling was tied incorrectly and I would have to say its my fault for not realizing it even tho I was a student. The sling didnt stay tied and I went 60', bounced off a ledge went another 20' and broke nearly every bone in my body.... severely fractured skull, several crushed vertabrae, split my pelvis in half and broke alot of other stuff that is somewhat less important.

I got a pretty big lesson in infant mortality that day and my back still hurts 1/2 the time. (especially sitting in this chair all day reading these threads!)

So Anna...... ask yourself what you want from climbing, read everything you can possibly get your hands on about gear placement, put them in the bathroom and read them over and over and over..... walk around your house looking for places to slot pro, learn to think gear. (the space between my refrigerator and the wall currently has a #8 hexcentric hanging there) Then find a supportive partner and pick leads you could probably solo and make a game of seeing how much pro you can possibly place. (ok ok... watch for rope drag too!)

I've spent my whole life battling with the baggage from that day in 1973. It's been worth it.... climbing's brought me good health, the best of friends and a lifetime of great travels. Just make learning a priority and enjoy yourself with good company.

quote:

Originally posted by DavidW:

sling was tied incorrectly and I would have to say its my fault for not realizing it even tho I was a student

same thing happened to that Exum guide last year, bad water knot coming undone when weighted...could happen to anyone not checking knots