• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
jshamster

Wisconsin Ice?

I'm going to be in Sturgeon Bay, WI, working, for three weeks. Anyone know about ice climbing in the area?

The north shore of Lake Superior looks too far. Anything on the south shore, or closer to the Green Bay area?

Thanks for any info. bigdrink.gif

Edited by jshamster

As for naturally forming shore ice, I do not know about the Sturgeon Bay area. I have, however, climbed a couple days up in Munising, MI on the South Shore of Lake Superior. It would be a drive (maybe five hours?), but there is a good bit ice. As you would imagine, most of the routes are single pitch, but there are some good ones. Under the right conditions, I was told that there is a continuous "ice bouldering traverse" of something like 1200 or 1800' not far from the parking area. I do not even know whether I could locate the little guidebook to the area, but I'm certain you could get all of the information needed from the rock gym in Appleton. (The guy who owns the gym, Paul, did a lot of the first ascents up in Munising).

Another thing to consider, especially if you will be around for three weeks, is the "Ice Pit" in DePere, WI--not very damned far from where you will be. The "topography" has been provided by a quarry operator, but it has similarities to all ice parks, in that water is sprayed over the cliffs. Last time I was there (years ago), it was operating as a business, but it has since become a club, or co-op.

Might be worth a bit of investigation, as you might find ice within a reasonable proximity, plus climbing partners. PM me if you would like a contact number.

Also . . . check your spelling of Wisconsin.

Thanks for the info. (and spellcheck)

I have found reference to the Ice Pit, but could not find contact info, or location. PM the contact if you don't mind.

Munising sounds good as well.

I checked out climbingcentral.com, but had a hard time telling where some of the areas are.

Thanks again.

There's a couple leads for you in this link. Talks about ice climbing at Pictured Rocks on Michigan's UP.

The article also offers an explanation of how ice climbing differs from rock climbing -- very illuminating!