Wisconsin Ice?

jshamster

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As for naturally forming shore ice, I do not know about the Sturgeon Bay area. I have, however, climbed a couple days up in Munising, MI on the South Shore of Lake Superior. It would be a drive (maybe five hours?), but there is a good bit ice. As you would imagine, most of the routes are single pitch, but there are some good ones. Under the right conditions, I was told that there is a continuous "ice bouldering traverse" of something like 1200 or 1800' not far from the parking area. I do not even know whether I could locate the little guidebook to the area, but I'm certain you could get all of the information needed from the rock gym in Appleton. (The guy who owns the gym, Paul, did a lot of the first ascents up in Munising).

Another thing to consider, especially if you will be around for three weeks, is the "Ice Pit" in DePere, WI--not very damned far from where you will be. The "topography" has been provided by a quarry operator, but it has similarities to all ice parks, in that water is sprayed over the cliffs. Last time I was there (years ago), it was operating as a business, but it has since become a club, or co-op.

Might be worth a bit of investigation, as you might find ice within a reasonable proximity, plus climbing partners. PM me if you would like a contact number.

Also . . . check your spelling of Wisconsin.

Thanks for the info. (and spellcheck)

I have found reference to the Ice Pit, but could not find contact info, or location. PM the contact if you don't mind.

Munising sounds good as well.

I checked out climbingcentral.com, but had a hard time telling where some of the areas are.

Thanks again.