Plastic Boots

gyselinck

Regardless of what you guys think, we do get really cold weather here. Frost nip on the end of my pinky toe from last weekend proves this. And waking up to wet frozen boots in the morning for 2 days, taking 20 min or more to get them on just sucks.

-20F in the Cascades yelrotflmao.gif Because you got frostnip doesn't mean your boots aren't warm enough, could also be you didn't keep your core warm enough.

If your boots are frozen you might try waterproofing them rolleyes.gif

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm told if you want warm then the K4S is the thing to go for but it's bulkier than the Nepal Extreme. It has more insulation and a better mid sole insulation. What makes you think the Evo Gtx will be any warmer than the Extremes? The Evo is a lot lighter and designed to climb better but from the specs it didn't seem to be any warmer.

As for cost. A $400 boot that gets used for it's whole lifetime soon cost averages to a pretty cheap piece of gear on a $/day basis.

This is really more of a summer boot. I really wouldn't write off leathers on the basis of your experience with these. They're uninsulated with a thin sole and only take a strap on crampon, all of which will result in cold feet.

Those "voting" for leathers are doing so on the basis of a much heavier leather boot in winter.

-20F in the Cascades yelrotflmao.gif Because you got frostnip doesn't mean your boots aren't warm enough, could also be you didn't keep your core warm enough.

If your boots are frozen you might try waterproofing them rolleyes.gif

I admit it, I forgot to take my vitamins in the morning, thus, I didn't keep my core temperature warm enough. It fell down 371 Kelvins.

I am a fat kid and I sweat a lot. smileysex5.gif

Are some of you guys really bored or something? I am, thats why I keep responding to your whacky comments. Some of you guys make me laugh. thumbs_up.gif

Yeah Ade, your right, it is a very light boot and it only takes strap crampons. But, plastics sure sound nice right now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by gyselinck

Those "voting" for leathers are doing so on the basis of a much heavier leather boot in winter.

Yeah, exactly. I have a pair of heavier leather boots that I take on snow climbs that suit me much better than the plastics I've tried. Everyone's opinion is going to be different on this. Sounds like your feet get cold easy, so you'll probably prefer plastics.

I've known a few folks who threw a lot of money away on plastic boots that they didn't really need, just 'cause they thought that they had to have 'em.

They why ask rolleyes.gif

...I was just hoping somebody could throw down some good suggestions as to brands or particular boots that I might want to check out, or warn me of some that just suck.

Invernos/Vegas - for wide volume foot. i find they are ok for snow slogs; but they suck for articulation on rock, and transitional low/moderate angle over ice. think frankenstein! i got them b/c of the wide toe box. if you're a wt. freak, go with custom thermal liners - warmer to boot!

would have liked alphas (lighter & gives more articulation), but they're built on a curved last that's too aggressive for my straight feet.

noticed when i was in the bugs, that folks out thata way have way more selection than the Vancouver stores give us.

hope your search isn't the ordeal that mine was.

What makes you think the Evo Gtx will be any warmer than the Extremes? The Evo is a lot lighter and designed to climb better but from the specs it didn't seem to be any warmer.

I have the uninsulated Nepal Tops not the insulated Extreme .. these Nepal EVO qtx's look pretty sweet as well. Haven't seen them for sale in the states yet

280.jpg

Not a platic boot, but I'm a HUGE fan of the Salomon Super 9 Guides. I've used these super comfortoubly for -30 days of NE ice climbing this winter (those few that weve had) and absaloutley love them. If its super cold out I use liner socks, grocery bags and mid-weight Smartwool hikers, never been cold in them, but then again always been on daytrips. Climb nice too. Kicker is thay can be had for about $110 new. Awsome boot, would highly recomend despite the lack of insulation.rockband.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif

Cheers: Rob

You have a lot more fitting options with a plastic: custom liners, heat manipulation, room for decent foot beds. Alphas can get to be pretty light to. Best climbing boot I've used is the scarpa F1 though, it's light, flexy, sensitive, and ski worthy all in the same go. Check it out and don't call me crazy till you try it.