Lightweight summer mountaineering boots

jhc

Time for new boots. I want to find the perfect boots for spring and summer mountaineering but also for backpacking and long hikes. So.....fairly light weight, not too bulky, still stiff enough to work well with crampons, and should last forever.

Any suggestions? Anything you've got that you are really happy with?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm... the ones that fit your feet. Seriously, go out and try on a bunch of pairs. Some of the obvious contenders have already been mentioned here. I have a pair of the

"and should last forever" No lightweight boot is going to last forever. You just traded durability for weight.

I have a pair of the non-GTX Garmonts (never been much of a believer in GTX boots) and they're pretty nice. Not waterproof but fine for summer and lightweight crampons. The toe is pretty narrow though.

Why not GTX. I've never been that convinced by its durability in a boot. Typical GTX boots tend to be made of synthetic materials with the GTX membrane sandwiched inside it. I've always figured that the membrane is going to get mangled pretty quickly and then you're left with a boot that's not leather and hard to waterproof.

But then my personal preference these days seems to be approach shoes or those boots, lightweight crampons and plastic shopping bags for waterproofing on glaciers when cramponing.

The GTX Liner on my Towers is at least as durable as the sole.

This may be true but I've never seen any numbers to support it.

When I bought my lightweight boots I posted here asking if anyone had any data on how long the GTX membrane in a boot is expected/designed to last.

Only get the waterproof version of the Trango S. I have the non-wp version and they aren't not, in any way, even water-resistant. After about 30 mins in snow they are soaked through. Went on a four day trip with these and hated them, they never dried. I'll never buy non-wp mountaineering boots again. And make sure you get the right size. My were a half size to small and that sucked. I used them for two years getting wet and cramped feet before I retired them. Screw that.

I've never believed in Gore-Tex boots either - especially ones made from synthetics. They're nearly impossible to waterproof, and even if there's GTX in them, they still get soaked with water, weigh 3 pounds more and make your feet cold. The original green Trangos rocked cuz you could coat them with wax. I dig the Garmont Pinnacle for this reason.

• 1 month later...

Maybe I can revive this thread..

Anybody know which is stiffer between the Kayland Multitraction and the Garmont Towers?

And also, taking a step up from these two, anybody have any experience with the Garmont Mountain Lite Karbo GTX or the Kayland K1?

Edited by undermind

The La Sportiva Trango S rocks my world.
You said it Squidly. thumbs_up.gif Pro Mountain Sports has them on sale for $150, but they don't have all sizes and is limited to stock on hand.

I loved these boots but last year sadly realized that they are far too disposable for even the cheap clearance prices around right now.

When I returned them last summer to MEC with the entire kevlar sections on both boots blown right off after three months of weekend use, I was told I had reached the lifetime of the boot (the edges on the soles weren't even rounded yet), and that it was common knowledge that synthetic materials don't last tongue.gifrolleyes.gif

Forget that noise, the scarpa freney pro is a bit heavier but is FAR more durable. I will never buy that synthetic kevlar shit again thumbs_down.gif

I'm not sure it's kevlar per se, more the weight of the boot overall. I had a pair of Tecnica Altis, which have a 100% kevlar fabric upper, that have given me good service. They've done five years of alpine climbing in the Cascades and ice climbing in winter and aren't done yet.

If you buy one of these lightweight boots don't expect it to last like a heavier more durable one.

• 2 weeks later...