•• FREE cool plant in pdx if anyone wants ••

Thrashador

Just dug up a huge clump of Arundo donax 'Variegata' and have some small pieces left if anyone wants some. The stuff can get fairly tall and provides nice screening and variegation. In my limited experience with this plant, so long as its not planted near a body of water such as a pond or stream it's not nearly as invasive as bamboo. PM me if interested... wave.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it get you high?

It's a giant REED not WEED. I dunno, mix it with some banana peel

and knock yourself out. We've got plenty. Apparently it does have some medicinal uses:

"Folk Medicine

The rhizome or rootstock is used for dropsy. Boiled in wine with honey, the root or rhizome has been used for cancer. This or other species of Arundo is also reported to be used for condylomata and indurations of the breast. The root infusion is regarded as antigalactagogue, depurative, diaphoretic, diuretic, emollient, hypertensive, hypotensive, and sudorific (Duke and Wain, 1981."

This plant is highly invasive in CA and of 'particular concern' in OR.

Thanks for the heads up. It's a water hog and turns otherwise healthy waterways into bogs from what I've read. Mine is containered as is all my bamboo. Arundo is to California what Scotch Broom and English Ivy are to Oregon, right? The clump I dug up started from a gallon container and within four years had grown to about 4 feet in diameter. Digging it out wasn't too difficult as the root system was very shallow though I did have to use an axe to divide the clump. I've never seen the straight species, the non-variegated variety, for sale commercially in OR.