Looking for British Columbia Ski Huts

pfleeger

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great skiing and much fun was had on this trip to the Pebble Creek hut north of Pemberton. thumbs_up.gif You'd need a group of 5-7 to share the costs of the heli ride(s).

A good trip with cheaper access would be combining a few days at the Wendy Thompson hut in Marriot Basin with a few days at Keith's Hut in Cerise Creek.

Get a copy of this book, it has all the info you need.

If you're not familiar with the area, the trailhead for the Wendy Thompson hut is only about a 5 minute drive from the trailhead for the Cerise Creek hut. Between the two of them (and maybe a day in the Whistler backcountry) you could easily fill up a week with minimal cost and not much driving.

... and if you bring tent as emergency option, maybe you can add overnight trip to nearest area, called Casper Creek. We are supposed to go there this coming weekend. No hut there but people told me it's great area for skiing.

I'll update you with some info about snow condition next week, if you like.

If you are interested to see few recent pictures from the Wendy Thompson trip last Sunday go here:

http://www3.telus.net/vazor/P2/index.htm

My apologies for foreign language. Site is for my friends in Europe.

smile.gif

Z

I didn't go to Caspar Creek. My daughter was little sick. She is better now and we already planning to go to Cerise Hut next weekend.

My friends skied Mt. Rohr (near Wendy Thompson hut) and snow was very good. Weather is perfect for some climbs too. Wendy Thompson hut is absolutely OK but not real lodge. To be safe you can always place call and reserve spot. For Cerise hut I think is first come first served. It will be my first time to go to the hut too and I can tell you more soon.

Maybe Paul can correct me about reservation for Cerise?

Regards,

Z

Cerise, like most huts, has table and benches (also has a woodstove but this is not as universal), and a counter, You will want to bring cookinig and sleeping gear. I usually bring a tent to Cerise as it is often busy, and it is first come first sleep.

There is also a donation system in place for the maintenance of Cerise... thumbs_up.gif The Wendy Thompson Hut is operated by the ACC, which may mean reservations are possible/required? I'm not so sure. Ahhh, here it is: Wendy Thompson Hut details.

A TR and some pics of Keith's hut and the surrounding terrain here.

The Wendy Thompson hut is unlocked, so anyone can use it. However, the kerosene heater and Coleman stove are supposed to be kept in a locked closet, and you get the lock combination when you make a reservation with the Whistler section of the ACC.

• 2 weeks later...