trick or...climb

russki82

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Retrosaurus:

I have never degraded someone's climbing skills. If they unnecessarily drill or something like that, yes.

Awe Rtero the arrogant, Retro the absent minded, clearly you have done so. As an example for those who want to research a bit look for a discussion where he clearly "degrades" some climbers who were too slow on Outer Space and he and his wife had to pass them. Anyway I couldnt let such BS pass without a clear and incontrovertible refutation.

Retro is right is saying that it is possible to climb W3 quickly. My first ice lead/climb was W3. But I should say the ice was in perfect condition. Where Retro is full of his usual goofiness is where he equates steepness with difficulty and danger! The scariest ice climbing I have ever done and the most technically difficult was on some verglass on low angle slabs on what is usually a rockclimb. No pro. No belays. Certain death. Wouldn't have done it but going down seemed more deadly than going up by the time I wised up. Would have been a cakewalk in summer.

PP

What's wrong with complaining about someone that wont let you pass when you are clearly faster. Fuck them people. I'll tell on route and in thier face. I let people pass all the time as long as it is a decent spot or that they are friendly about it.

IF people want to get hostile at the crags bring it on skinny punks [Mad] Otherwise tie into the fucking rope or shut up.

quote:

Originally posted by JayB:

Seems like that's sort of endemic to climbing discussions in general. No one wants to come off like a melodramatic wanker, but even when taking that into account, I'm still amazed at how seldom anyone brings up fear, doubt, apprehension, misgivings, etc. when discussing climbing.

Confronting those feelings and overcoming them, or at least coming to terms with them, seems to be at least as much a part of climbing as the rest of it. For most folks these are all part of the reality of climbing at some point, but they do seem to get glossed over most of the time.

Seems like more often that not while *climbing* , I'm scared as hell. Even when rapping of bolts. Too much coffee I guess.

[ 11-01-2002, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: COL. Von Spanker ]

quote:

Originally posted by JayB:

No one wants to come off like a melodramatic wanker, but even when taking that into account, I'm still amazed at how seldom anyone brings up fear, doubt, apprehension, misgivings, etc. when discussing climbing.

those feelings of "fear, doubt, apprehension, misgivings, etc." are part of what make climbing so appealing (and addictive) for me.

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

...people are going to be more likely to listen to you if you don't start off by telling them they can fuck off if they don't climb as well as you do or aren't willing to take the same risks as you do or whatever.

That's funny. I don't think I started off like that. I usually have to work up to that. It is an interesting question, whether the real problem is how I say things or how you take it. Likely there is at least some of each going on. Agreed, sometimes the "smackem on the head" approach is not best. But that is why there are people around like you. You have a genuine gift as a statesman, that I do not care to try to develop. At least for on-line bullshit. [Wink]

quote:

It is an interesting question, whether the real problem is how I say things or how you take it. Likely there is at least some of each going on.

Agreed. Can we [big Drink] now? I know it isn't noon yet, but it IS friday.

[ 11-01-2002, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: mattp ]

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:

["fear, doubt, apprehension, misgivings, etc."

Hey these are all aspects of dating me! PM your number and tonight will be a wonderful climbing trip!

Oh peter the arrogant,

Clearly my ego pales in comparison to yours. I could not begin to carry anything so immense around 24-7 as you do. [MR T]

Oh yeah, we did pass a party of 3 on the crux pitch of OuterSpace. It went smoothly and politely. There was no friction. Now, how they felt about being passed by an old fat guy and a pregnant woman....

That may be another matter.

I never have had a confrontation at a crag though. If folks are bumbling along, that is way cool. I am still frequently do that.If they are being unsafe I usually just get the fuck lost to avoid bcoming involved in their rescue. People are most often not receptive to being educated by a total stranger. Especially if they are trying to impress a potential girlfriend [Wink] .

I'm just glad that Peter still hates me. Helps me realize that all is right with the world. If a pin-head like that decided I was OK [Eek!] ??? Now that would be a problem [hell no] .

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

Mitch, I am a badass and fuck everybody else who cannot climb at my standard.

Matt, I must say that I am shocked that you would address anyone like. In the instances that we have climbed or hung out together I have found you a pretty mellow, laidback guy. This sudden derisive aggressiveness is not like you at all.

Greg W [Wink][big Drink]

Oh yeah, we did pass a party of 3 on the crux pitch of OuterSpace. It went smoothly and politely. There was no friction. Now, how they felt about being passed by an old fat guy and a pregnant woman....

That may be another matter.

Verily I say unto you: read what is written. Silly boy I never siad anything about what happened at the crag. I did make a claim to what you have written here on cc.com.

I'm just glad that Peter still hates me.

Oh what an ego [Roll Eyes] Hate? Where did you come up with that. I do think you are a jerk but don't spend much time thinking one way or the other about you outside of the 30 seconds it takes to post a message.

PP

[ 11-01-2002, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Peter Puget ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

Talk about sport climbing hard, and what constitutes "hard" sport routes, and you're an egotistical prick. Talk about ice climbing hard and what makes a "hard" ice climb, and you're respected for your bold opinions.

Fuck off, alpine nut-swingers (y'all know who ya is).
[Moon]

[laf] Such a true statement.