trick or...climb

russki82

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Retrosaurus:

quote:

You must have been looking for the Seattle Mountaineers.

Seattle? As opposed to some other branch of the Mountaineers, I presume? You fell for the rumor that the female gender ratio there is larger than cc.com.

Originally posted by ruski82:

quote:

climbing? huh? what's that? boy did I stumble into the wrong place

Based on post volume on non climbing subjects, climbing appears to be only a minor interest on this board, easily topped by dietary concerns.

[HORSECOCK][big Drink]

[ 10-31-2002, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: SEF ]

quote:

Unless it is
VERY
thin or actively falling down, water ice requires very little in the way of skill or technique to succeed, and most will be able to bumble their way through it.

But when it is truely vertical it is a completely different animal and you will need to have your shit dialed wire-tight. Placing gear on sustained vertical ice (especially if it is of less than ideal quality,) is one of the most demanding things that I have ever done.

So Mitch, does that mean you don't bother climbing any rock routes less then 5.11 too? Too bad anything less than vertical doesn't interest you. Guess I'll have to find someone else to climb Drury Falls with this year. It must not be worthy to you. Personally I don't know many people who can "bumble" up WI 4-5 and most of that isn't vertical. I think you are probably a great guy and would be fun to climb with, but you're sounding a little elitest for my taste.

It's not rock climbing unless it's overhanging, until then it's not really rock, its just a steep hill made of dirt thats been packed down really really hard.

"Water ice ain't water ice until it's vertical"

I haven't done a whole lot of Ice climbing but that's sounds like a bunch of elitest BS. Water Ice is water ice.

"Water ice grades currently go from WI 1 to WI 8. WI 3 is a good grade for a fit beginner to toprope. WI 4 approaches vertical, WI 5 has extended sections of vertical ice, and WI 6 is steep and technical. WI 7 is steep, technical, and often dangerous. Marginal pick placements usually mean marginal pro, so as difficulty increases, so does the danger"

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

Who cares if it's elitist or not? Shit mitch makes a solid partner and since many of you foos never met him I don't see why you should make such comments anyway
[MR T]
But hey whatever.
[HORSECOCK]

i am cutting and pasting this.......and keeping it on file

quote:

Originally posted by David Parker:

...Personally I don't know many people who can "bumble" up WI 4-5 and most of that isn't vertical. I think you are probably a great guy and would be fun to climb with, but you're sounding a little elitest for my taste.

Senor Parker,

What is the problem here? Is it poor reading comprehension, lack knowlege, or just plain stupidity? The way I understand it, WI4 has significant vertical sections long enough for most persons to want to place pro somewhere in the middle of it. It is these vertical sections that usually give waterfall routes their character, appeal and difficulty. Yes, People usually don't bumble their way up WI4&5 because of the vertical ice. But you knew that.

(If you've just got an attitude and want to talk down on me you're going to have to do better.)

BTW: WI4 is often way fun. I reccommend Murchison Falls. [big Grin]

BTW II: New ice leaders frequently "bumble" their way up WI4. It looks like a desperate battle fueled by fear and adrenaline born of the desire to avoid compound fractures and death. At least that's the way it felt to me.

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

quote:

Who cares if it's elitist or not? Shit mitch makes a solid partner and since many of you foos never met him I don't see why you should make such comments anyway
[MR T]
But hey whatever.
[HORSECOCK]

i am cutting and pasting this.......and keeping it on file

Me too [MR T][geek][Roll Eyes]

quote:

[MR T]
But hey whatever.
[HORSECOCK]

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

quote:

Water ice ain't water ice until it's vertical.

????

Unless it is
VERY
thin or actively falling down, water ice requires very little in the way of skill or technique to succeed, and most will be able to bumble their way through it.

But when it is truely vertical it is a completely different animal and you will need to have your shit dialed wire-tight. Placing gear on sustained vertical ice (especially if it is of less than ideal quality,) is one of the most demanding things that I have ever done.

You may be correct, but I say screw you to people who degrade my climbing skills and the level that I climb at because I don't/can't climb things as hard as they do. That's elitest. Its like saying 'any one can bumble up outerspace, it's not unitil you climb the salathe or the nose that you really rock climbing cause you have to have your shit dialed to place gear on a 5.12'. Difficulty is relative to the climber, that's why people enjoy it, they are constantly challenged by something harder. Maybe I am mireading what mithc is saying or something, but probably not.

Nothing personal cavey. I enjoyed climbing with you at castle rock at the rope up, and found you to be very supportive as I bumbled my way up the start on saber. [smile]

I don't take offense to your comments. All I got to say is that if I nitpicked all my partners' flaws and decided not to climb with them then I sure would be doin a lot more solo shit.

People are people and if they are elitist good for them. If they are humble good for them too. Just tie into the rope is what I say. [Wazzup]

quote:

I don't take offense to your comments. All I got to say is that if I nitpicked all my partners' flaws and decided not to climb with them then I sure would be doin a lot more solo shit.

People are people and if they are elitist good for them. If they are humble good for them too. Just tie into the rope is what I say.
[Wazzup]

Hell yeah bro. The nice thing about arrogant elitist is they can teach you a bunch of stuff. I used to hang out with a bunch of elitist snowboarders (talk about a scene [Razz] ) They would all fight over the sno-betties. [Wazzup]

quote:

Originally posted by COL. Von Spanker:

You may be correct, but I say screw you to people who degrade my climbing skills and the level that I climb at because I don't/can't climb things as hard as they do. That's elitest...

...Maybe I am mireading what mithc is saying or something, but probably not.

You assume too much. I did not degrade your climbing skills. I have never degraded someone's climbing skills. If they unnecessarily drill or something like that, yes. But not because they climb at 5.4 insteead of 5.12. You assume that "bumbling" is an insult. Wrong. Bumbling rocks. Bumbling is an integral part of learning. Bumbling through WI4, averting disaster through sheer force of will, is one of the most rewarding experiences that someone can experience. I did it. And it was fucking cool. I have bumbled my way through all sorts of stuff, and continue to. And I don't get all my weenie in a knot when someone says they enjoy climbing at higher standards, because they were once here and in the future I may be there.

It must be really stressful being so thin-skinned and sensitive. Have you lost your virginity? Talk to Dru about it. He may be able to enlighten you.

quote:

Originally posted by SEF:

quote:

No. The rumor was that The Mountaineers is really a dating service for people that drive Jeep Cherokees.

Clearly a 1980's rumor. They drive Japanese SUV's now.

I suppose that means my Chevy truck won't meet entrance requirements.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by COL. Von Spanker:

You may be correct, but I say screw you to people who degrade my climbing skills and the level that I climb at because I don't/can't climb things as hard as they do. That's elitest...

...Maybe I am mireading what mithc is saying or something, but probably not.

You assume too much. I did not degrade your climbing skills. I have never degraded someone's climbing skills. If they unnecessarily drill or something like that, yes. But not because they climb at 5.4 insteead of 5.12. You assume that "bumbling" is an insult. Wrong. Bumbling rocks. Bumbling is an integral part of learning. Bumbling through WI4, averting disaster through sheer force of will, is one of the most rewarding experiences that someone can experience. I did it. And it was fucking cool. I have bumbled my way through all sorts of stuff, and continue to. And I don't get all my weenie in a knot when someone says they enjoy climbing at higher standards, because they were once here and in the future I may be there.

It must be really stressful being so thin-skinned and sensitive. Have you lost your virginity? Talk to Dru about it. He may be able to enlighten you.

It is really stressful, I have started counseling from CC induced post traumatic stress syndrome. Does getting anal in jail count as losing my virginity?