Science Flips PETA the Bird

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To whit. Recently it was revealed that the study that killed DDT was "cooked" - and the part about thin avian egg shells for endangered species was fabricated. The substance could have saved millions of lives in mosquito-infested third-world countries. Fool me once...

I hear this all the time, but as a bird biologist who has worked with a number of the researchers who did the eaarly egg shell work I can tell you that the science from the "in lab work, controlled experiments" is tight and has passed all sorts of scientific peer scrutiny. There are many in the industry who would like to explain it away through wishful thinking. The manufacturers continue to make DDT and sell it to many third world countries. DDE the metabolite of DDT continues to weaken egg shells in birds in the rest of the world. Many of the imported fruits, including bananas and others, have measurable residues of pesticides banned here in the good ole US of A.

Farmers in Central and South America still spray chemicals that have been documented to kill wildlife directly. Not any of this maybe yes, maybe no, possible egg shell thinning. The birds fall dead out of the air.

Catbird can probably expound on this and likely has specific technical knowledge, but it isn't pseudo-science.

To whit. Recently it was revealed that the study that killed DDT was "cooked" - and the part about thin avian egg shells for endangered species was fabricated. The substance could have saved millions of lives in mosquito-infested third-world countries. Fool me once...

I hear this all the time, but as a bird biologist who has worked with a number of the researchers who did the eaarly egg shell work I can tell you that the science from the "in lab work, controlled experiments" is tight and has passed all sorts of scientific peer scrutiny. There are many in the industry who would like to explain it away through wishful thinking. The manufacturers continue to make DDT and sell it to many third world countries. DDE the metabolite of DDT continues to weaken egg shells in birds in the rest of the world. Many of the imported fruits, including bananas and others, have measurable residues of pesticides banned here in the good ole US of A.

Farmers in Central and South America still spray chemicals that have been documented to kill wildlife directly. Not any of this maybe yes, maybe no, possible egg shell thinning. The birds fall dead out of the air.

Catbird can probably expound on this and likely has specific technical knowledge, but it isn't pseudo-science.

All I can say is that I have read and heard contrary claims about the effects of DDT, its usage (and banning) worldwide, and so on. Again, it would be nice to have a global fact-checker somewhere. madgo_ron.gif

Any google search will show you what I mean (e.g. http://www.junkscience.com/ddtfaq.htm).

Back to the original subject... A book called Death in Yellowstone (a mighty good read, including not only the more high profile grizzly devourings, but also a middle aged couple who backed their car over the edge of Yellowstone Canyon near the falls) opens with an anecdote of a guy wading into a 200 degree pool to "rescue" his dog. He was witnessed walking into the pool, gradually reaching full submersion. He changed his mind before reaching his dog and waded back to shore, then died about 30 seconds later. Witness accounts do not describe him complaining of any pain.

I'm not sure what lesson this provides regarding the cooking of lobsters. But I thought inquiring minds would want to know.

Well crystals have energy, and the energy field created by plants is what gives them sentience, so I would conclude that rocks also have emotions, and thoughts, and bolting therefore is a a heinous crime committed on our kind cliff-neighbors as sure as boiling a lobster is a guaranteed trip to hell in the afterlife. wazzup.gif

PETA is so out of touch with the real world its just not funny anymore.Writing jimmy carter and asking him to stop fishing because it causes trama to fishes? get real.I agree about the feedlots though.Ever seen that mess along I-5 in Cali? Im off red meat thank you very much.And yes my chicken is free range or fresh kill.Factory farms suck.