Science Flips PETA the Bird

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tobacco science

Robertson said many scientists believe lobsters do feel pain. For instance, a zoologist with The Humane Society of the United States made a written declaration that lobsters can feel pain after a chef dismembered and sauteed a live lobster to prepare a Lobster Fra Diavolo dish on NBC's "Today" show in 1994.

It's debatable whether the debate will ever be resolved.

pain serves an evolutionary purpose. it is doubtful to my mind whether any creature does NOT feel pain, even bugs or amoebae. more to the point is, they taste good cheeburga_ron.gif

Its fun to watch conservative deal with science. They jump up and down and do press releases every time ANY science backs up thier world view! fruit.gif

Upon what do you base this comment? Are you stating that the research project was funded by conservatives or undertaken by them? Or that the news release itself was issued by conservatives? I know when I think "Norway", I always think "hard right idealogues". rolleyes.gif

PETA is way out of control sometimes, but I don't think anyone can look at a Nebraska feedlot and say there's not something wrong with that.

We're talking about crustaceans, not bovines.

with modern genetic engineering techniques, the difference may be smaller than you think! hahaha.gif

Not to ruin this thread with personal feelings, cuz yous guys is on a roll laugh.gif, but here goes.

I worked in restaurants for (waaay too many) years, and it kinda bothered me every time I had to drop a lobster into the pot. Even cooking crayfish kind of bothered me.

I'm a BIG PUSSY!! cry.gif

Shrimp however, I seemed to take delight in cooking. I hope those things feel pain. Ick. Shrimp. hellno3d.gif

We now return to your regularly scheduled spray.

Not to ruin this thread with personal feelings, cuz yous guys is on a roll laugh.gif, but here goes.

I worked in restaurants for (waaay too many) years, and it kinda bothered me every time I had to drop a lobster into the pot. Even cooking crayfish kind of bothered me.

I'm a BIG PUSSY!! cry.gif

We already knew that rolleyes.gif

and how do you define pain cbs? titration elbow?
What I mean is this. Pain as humans understand it, is quite complex. We remember pain. We associate it with many different things. We contemplate it. We make it less or worse depending on our thought processes. Pain is undoubtedly different in lobsters, but is it any less than it is in humans? I don't know. All that matters is how much empathy we happen to feel for them, which isn't much.

I love the fact that KK is down with THIS research, but he's holding out on that whole "global warming" research.

I just hear too many contradictory claims about it (global warming). Everyone has an agenda.

To whit. Recently it was revealed that the study that killed DDT was "cooked" - and the part about thin avian egg shells for endangered species was fabricated. The substance could have saved millions of lives in mosquito-infested third-world countries. Fool me once...

Personally, I think global warming is occuring, but don't know if we can do anything about it. I'm not opposed to reasonable proactive action now (like raising cafe standards on cars).