shells

bolt_clipper

I just went to REI and tried on several waterproof jackets, the arcteryx theta AR and Sirrus SL, the Marmot Climbing jacket, and the sierra designs peak bagger jacket. I found that the more expensive jackets moved no better, and the hoods were no better, than the dirt-cheap sierra designs shell. Actually, the hood on the marmot was worse than the sierra designs! This proves that supposedly independent gear tests contain only hype and inflated BS. Any opinions?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sierra Designs shell is what I just asked for x-mas from my fiancee. Cool to know it lives up to the hype [big Grin] ...Don't have a teryx shell but my other gear by them is top-notch. Just so damn expensive. Aren't they a Canadien company? Where's the exchange rate lovin [Confused] ?

Gear (especially outerwear) can be very subjective. Arc Teryx makes great harnesses, but some of their packs REALLY suck IMHO (although others I know LOVE theirs). I ended up selling my Arc Teryx pack and buying a Gregory that was much less and fit me better.

Arc Teryx makes great stuff, but somtimes I think they're raping the American consumer (just like some other foreign gear companies).

bolt clipper.....question.....The Sierra piece, was it a gore-tex or other laminate or was it a breathable coating? That makes a huge difference in its cost, not to mention its overall performance and longevity.

I have a Precip and it is great but does not really breath too well and it is just not going to last, but it is only coated. The Theta and the Marmot piece I belive are both Gore's new XCR, the Theta being a 3 layer one at that. They might cost more but a good 3 layer piece will likely outlast you.......even if it don't pack down too well. Apples and banannas????

i have a SD peak bagger that i bought online for under $50... money well spent IMO.

i went to the patagonia store to try on the R1 pant (on sale at sierratradingpost) and had a look at the regulator jacket. sure looks and feels nice and no worries about breathability... anyone have some experience w/ a patagucci regulator shell in the b/c?

I took a long look at MEC's higher level 3-ply Gore-Tex jackets when I was in the market. They seem well-made and built with the climber in mind. I ended up buying a Mtn Hardware 'cause I got a deal, but would take a second look at the MEC next time. Price is nice when you convert to US$

here's a SD 3-layer jacket for cheap:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.42226/str_base_no.24271,41204,42014,42016,42022,42075,42076,42077,42081,42082,42087,42182,42186,42213,42225,42226,42270,42377,42411, 42417,/header_title./page_name.prod_list_display.asp/search_type.L2~208/size1./size2./gender.0/ShowImages.yes/sq.0/cont.1/intPgNo.1/special_type./qx/product.asp

I have some SD 3-layer bibs that have treated me pretty good.

Go for something light, IMHO. I have a Marmot climbing jacket, and despite the fact that I got it brand new for only $120, I don't take it too often because it's so heavy. It's great for the winter tho as the things is bombproof. I also have a marmot precip and I take that thing everywhere.

The Arc'Teryx clothing, IMHO, is overpriced fashionwear. The stuff looks great, and their quality is good, but the prices are just ridiculous.

Patagonia Dimension jacket is burly, but maybe TOO burly. Pros: durable, more windproof than Scholler. Excellent hood design.great in colder temperatures.

Cons:Coat not breathable enough, get a wetting from inside just wearing the thing during exertion. Encapsulated fabric makes coat feel moist more noticably than Scholler. Also, doesn't handle near freezing glop nearly as well Scholler. Heavy and bulky.

I tend to grab my MEC Ferratta most any time of year as soft shell over the Dimension now, Dimension for colder temps/higher altitude/ full conditions.

as adjunct to this topic, here's some more input on jacket choice. We all need a mountain hard coat for the conditions that hit, but for most winter forays the user wearing wool and a softshell winds up being drier throughout the day and that comfort level is there, regardless of how foul it was out. Do face plants with your buddies all day, you'rs still drier than if you wore shells. In my experience, after a day of hard skiing, all the people that wear Gore top to bottom are soaking wet and freezing themselves to death, while softshell users are almost uniformally drier (a LOT) and lots more comfortable.

A soft shell with a quality laminate lightweight hard shell that lives in the backpack seems to be an enlightened way for winter BC travel