Speed Ticket in Canada

Rafael_H

snaf.gif

If im not mistaken, The Governor General of Canada is our representative of the British Government, at least thats what they taught us in History 12...

You are mistaken (or perhaps your history teacher misinformed you), but you can brush up on things here.

Canada is a sovereign nation with no ties to the British Government since the Canada Act was passed in 1982.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay, well thanks for clearing that up,

and since were on the subject of speeding tickets, i just got one in Othello WA, on my way back from WSU, my speedometer said 120KM/h but apparently i was doing 81MPH??!?! 177$ ticket, and now i have to decide if i should argue it cause there is no way i was doing 81MPH... Othello is known for being asshole cops though, and I have a question, if I argue it unsucessfully in Othello, can I appeal to a higher court?

Thanks

I read this late and you might've already paid . . . but if you're going to pay you might as well include a picture of both of your headlights on, with your license plate clearly visible. It's worth the chance that they'll give you a break knowing you're from out of the country and fixed the problem.

The surpreme court in BC found that photo radar was in violation of the Charter, if memory serves.

You might wanna get that memory checkd out...

Basically the present Liberal Government thought it would be a good way to get elected, if they promised to end the photo radar program.

snaf.gif

If im not mistaken, The Governor General of Canada is our representative of the British Government, at least thats what they taught us in History 12...

You are mistaken (or perhaps your history teacher misinformed you), but you can brush up on things here.

Canada is a sovereign nation with no ties to the British Government since the Canada Act was passed in 1982.

How is it then that the Government of the time went to the Queen to get permission to install an extra senator or two in order to insure that the GST was passed???

We need murraysovereign to weigh in here...

Funny that the link you suggested says this:

Although state power rests legally with the Queen, the Governor General performs the Queen's duties in Canada on a day to day basis. Parliament sits at "his or her pleasure", Royal Assent is necessary for all laws passed by Parliament, and as the Queen's representative in Canada, the Governor General acts as commander-in-chief of the Canadian Armed Forces. Real political power, however, rests with the Prime Minister, Cabinet, Parliament, and the provincial governments. Should the Governor General of Canada attempt to exercise any of these powers at her own personal discretion, it would likely result in a constitutional crisis and public outrage. The Governor General generally functions as a figurehead, who performs symbolic formal, ceremonial, and cultural duties.

Doesn't seem to support your argument. confused.gif

How is it then that the Government of the time went to the Queen to get permission to install an extra senator or two in order to insure that the GST was passed???

When Mulroney asked the Queen to appoint extra senators, he was simply asking her to exercise her power as the head of state. The British parliament was not involved in any way.

Doesn't seem to support your argument. confused.gif

The Queen is the head of state for both Britain and Canada, but those two roles are independent of each other. She happens to live in Britain, so people make the assumption that the monarchy is synonymous with the British government, which it is not. When acting as head of state for one country, she does not represent the government of the other.

In some respects it's easy to see why those feisty New Englanders decided to revolt and make up their own system.

> Canada is a sovereign nation with no ties to the British

> Government since the Canada Act was passed in 1982.

> How is it then that the Government of the time went to the

> Queen to get permission to install an extra senator or two in

> order to insure that the GST was passed???

But they didn't go to the Queen of Great Brittain, or the Queen of England, they went to the Queen of Canada. They happen to be the same person, but that's beside the point. She moonlights.