Interesting Peak Register

EJohnson

I came across interesting peak register today on Putrid Pete's Peak (West Defiance)

The first page was dated 6/25/01 signed by Tom Hornbein & Pete Schoening. It got me thinking about the mountaineering history that comes with those two names.

Tom Horbein & Willi Unsoeld traverse of Everest.

Pete Schoening ice-axe arrest on K2, saving 5 climbers in 1953

Pete just passed away September 22, 2004

I just thought it was cool to see their names on an obscure peak in the I-90 corridor.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EC and I once signed Dru and Messner into the Mt. Robson climbers log book in the ranger station for an Emperor Face attempt. This was back in the day when the ranger provided a summary of all Robson climbs and attempts in the CAJ. We were going for the entry, "Messner and young, unknown BC coastal climber made a July attempt on notorious E-Face, but failed on approach", but unfortunately that was the last year they provided CAJ summaries. Oh well.

That's kind of neat.

Assuming it really was them & not some joker like the guy who writes "Reinhold Messner" in the register on top of Mt. Insignificant or whatever.

Pete Schoening, Tom Hornbein, and a number of their friends have been doing regular weekday hikes together along I-90 (and elsewhere) for years. They are especially good at sniffing out obscure trails just for the heck of it. I recall hearing that Pete was also into bagging peaks that you could drive high on. The road routefinding was all part of the fun. I suspect the register was genuine.