gapertimmy

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

+1 - all forums should have this feature IMO.

I would really like to see you incorporate a feature used on TGR: the little thread preview (first few sentences of the original post) that appears when you hover over the thread title. I always miss it when I come back to cascadeclimbers after a mag session.

How about a WaterSports forum? A non-spray forum for kayakers would be great--especially to hook up with kayak partners and ask dumb noobie questions.

Cant you go to Kayakers.com for that?

If that isn't just askin' for it, I don't know what else would be...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah it would.

OK, heres one that will elevate this site to the top of the heap, cost you nothing and make you world class.

One thing I've noticed is that great writing can will and does just disappear as time continues. Heminfuckingway himself could write up a total classic story and it will eventually drift into the black hole of obscurity.

Here's what you do. Like a poll where you can vote, you allow votes, one per person, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best ever and 1 being it sucks. Then you place them so that any visitor can sort them and read them by author or by stars, still available using the search as well, but putting the good ones easier to find and read- on top.

You are f*ing welcome! Ta da!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill that is an excellent suggestion. Wikipedia does something similar with their featured articles, which are chosen by their editors. We could do something similar where posts or TRs could be nominated and then voted on by a peer editorial group. These could be featured on a special page and made searchable.

Bill that is an excellent suggestion. Wikipedia does something similar with their featured articles, which are chosen by their editors. We could do something similar where posts or TRs could be nominated and then voted on by a peer editorial group. These could be featured on a special page and made searchable.

Thats it Jon, thats it! I like the 1-10 rating idea as well, where all of our peers can vote and thus continually sort them out. That way, that old Don Willians piece, despite the fact that he died 15 years ago, still breaths life. It may be a Trip report, but it may just be a great story that he heard about or even made up.

I hate to see the time and energy Will and Ivan just spent on their writings just evaporate like dust in the wind. Furthermore, you'll most likely get more dudes like Kelly Cords and other hot young alpinists and climbers showing up and laying it down.

aww bill, i don't spend no time on my writing - i just have some drinks'n'smokes'n start throwing all the adjectives, invectives and insults i can summon from the ether out into teh interwebs

my vote for the first 10 tr would be laytons talking turd thang

Would it be possible to modify the search function so that it only returns the (link to the) original post in a thread when there are hits found in the original post AND subsequent posts? As of now, if I search for, say, "Buckner North Face" or "Buckner NF", I get all POSTS that have matches. In most cases, these are all the posts from a few threads, displayed as separate hits. So, there are actually only two or three TRs, and I might as well start reading them from the top. I do it by myself now - looking through the hits to identify the original post in each thread, but hey, aren't we all lazy? :crazy:

• 3 weeks later...

Of course now I'm seeing funny stuff with viewing posts or replying to them... the first time I replied to Dru's post above (after my log out/log back in) it told me the post was deleted. The post was clearly there, and I was able to reply on the second attempt. Same with viewing a post in Alpine Lakes -- told me it could not fetch the post from the DB the first time around...