What Do you Want to See?

gapertimmy

I would like to see a "conditions" section in the ice climbing forum. There is a website, neice.com, that i used to use back east. They did a great job with this. Just updated contditions reports seperated by location (lworth, baker, snoqualmie, rainier, etc.) . No spray. I be happy to bring a camera and contribute during the winter months, and It would make those long drives worth it more of the time.

arentz

We'll be adding something to address this in one way or another. Meanwhile the 1000 monkeys hired to create the new board software with typewriters went on strike for a little while, but they are back on job...so sometime this year...

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ever thought of making it so that the "ignore" feature could be set according to forum? Like, ignore them in Spray but not elsewhere?

I just recently started, for the FIRST time, ignoring this one user cuz of all the shit he said in spray which annoyed the fuck out of me. (there's VERY VERY FEW character traits which consistently annoy me ... but one of them is unfettered arrogance and hubris.) hellno3d.gif

But then a few days later, I un-ignored this little shit to read what he had to say in another thread in a different forum... and it was in fact something meaningful and worthwhile. thumbs_up.gif

Good idea, but it will most likely not be available on the first version of the new board when we go to it. There are more options on the new board for ignoring people, but they mainly have to do with new "Private Topic" fuctionality (like PMs you share with more than one person). Here is what the new board will offer:

Adding users to your 'ignore list'

To add another user to your 'ignore list': click on their username, then on Manage Ignores. This takes you to a page that lists their user ID/Name and has a space for you to add an Optional Reason to briefly explain why you're ignoring this person. This field is optional, but if many people are ignoring this user with the same reasons, the site administrators will see this and will determine if other actions are needed on their part.

This page also allows you to set the Ignore Level:

* Level 1: Tinted Glass (Placing users behind the 'tinted glass' will prevent them from inviting you to a private topic.)

* Level 2: Wood Crate (Placing users in a 'wood crate' as the same affect as 'tinted glass' plus they will not be able to view your profile.)

* Level 3: Lead Box (Placing highly toxic users in a 'lead box' has the same affect as 'wood crate' plus the user's topics and posts will be hidden from your view. Their names will also not be displayed in the 'online' information.)

Ever thought of making it so that the "ignore" feature could be set according to forum? Like, ignore them in Spray but not elsewhere?

I just recently started, for the FIRST time, ignoring this one user cuz of all the shit he said in spray which annoyed the fuck out of me. (there's VERY VERY FEW character traits which consistently annoy me ... but one of them is unfettered arrogance and hubris.) hellno3d.gif

But then a few days later, I un-ignored this little shit to read what he had to say in another thread in a different forum... and it was in fact something meaningful and worthwhile. thumbs_up.gif

Way to go Gary Yvnge!

In Search, a check box that specifies that you would like only the original post displayed and none of the replies.

This would be nice. I would also like search to return as many results as exist in the DB. A couple of times I have been searching for a post by a specific user and the show all user's posts only returns the last 200. If the post was older than 200 I have to find less commonly used words which may not work.

In Search, a check box that specifies that you would like only the original post displayed and none of the replies.

This would be nice. I would also like search to return as many results as exist in the DB. A couple of times I have been searching for a post by a specific user and the show all user's posts only returns the last 200. If the post was older than 200 I have to find less commonly used words which may not work.

We have the returned results set at 250 on the beta board, and it is configurable. However, we'll most likely set this based on performance. Having a big number of users doing queries at the same time that have a huge amount of returns is pretty taxing on the database performance, and could impact overall board performance.

However, there is more options for doing searches with the new board software, so it will be easier to find exactly what your are looking for without a huge amount of returns.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, I've just about had enough of this message when refreshing too quickly using the "view recent posts" button:

You cannot make another search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Please use your back button to return to the previous page.

...Irksome, it is. Yes.

Mighty. Damn. Annoying.

My thought was not of potential profit, but of efficacy in marketing and the allowance of many to have a shot at prized gear. I believe it would greatly enhance this site and draw many.

yes, IMO, that would be a big pain in the ass.

OK, that's what I suspected; leave it at that and leave your spray in your mouth... you gargling, green toad.

• 4 weeks later...

Now here's a suggestion that would turn cccom on its head:

Remove the tally of posts next to everyone's avatar.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but a lot of the nonsense filler on this site is just lame effort to increase "rank" by having lots of posts (thousands upon thousands? I mean, c'mon folks). How about tallying legitimate Trip Reports? Yeah, I know, that won't work. Perhaps... once a member makes 100 posts w/o a TR, they can ONLY post in Spray, until they finally post a TR? I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I get tired of reading the same old flames from people who aren't really adding any content to the site.

Yeah, I can feel the flames already... I know this will never happen since so many who support the site are the ones I'm referring to.

Anyway, what does everyone think?

I think it is a great idea, but since you have posted no trip reports, it totally makes your point invalid, and in fact I cannot hear what you're saying over the din of fluff. Perhaps there are a few that are concerned about the size of their schwartz, but the rest of these gumnuts don't even understand what that number next to their name means. Perhaps you could be a ginuea pig to see how well your concept works?

BTW, I think you just posted this in order to increase your fluff count.

Now here's a suggestion that would turn cccom on its head:

Remove the tally of posts next to everyone's avatar.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but a lot of the nonsense filler on this site is just lame effort to increase "rank" by having lots of posts (thousands upon thousands? I mean, c'mon folks). How about tallying legitimate Trip Reports? Yeah, I know, that won't work. Perhaps... once a member makes 100 posts w/o a TR, they can ONLY post in Spray, until they finally post a TR? I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I get tired of reading the same old flames from people who aren't really adding any content to the site.

Yeah, I can feel the flames already... I know this will never happen since so many who support the site are the ones I'm referring to.

Anyway, what does everyone think?

Dru?

Yes sir yes sir I have I have... posted one trip report.

And now I'm up to TWELVE posts! Yes! That's still over 8% trip reports. A respectable ratio getting worse at the moment.

But seriously... doesn't my idea make sense? It could only serve to increase the quality of content in the posts, and reduce (but not eliminate, no one wants that) the senseless babble.

IS there anyone who uses this site regularly but makes a conscious effort to minimize their babble, or maximize the redeeming quality of their posts? Will he/she please weigh in?