[TR] Mt. Harvey- Lean Cuisine 2/13/2005

jordop

Climb: Mt. Harvey-Lean Cuisine

Date of Climb: 2/13/2005

Trip Report:

PaulB and I climbed the N face of Harvey today. Conditions are extremely thin right now, there was about 4" of snow on the boulders at the base. A couple of Swiss guys we passed on the logging road seemed almost insulted that we would even try it in such conditions shocked.gif

We hummed and hawed at the base. Wasn't a lot of snow but it really didn't look that steep so we started up and found lottsa bits of snow over rock, but also some nice bits of genuine ICE cool.gif

We busted out the rope for two pitches, the first being a half-pitch of 6" wide runnel of ice about an inch thick over rock. One shitty half-driven screw for pro. Lottsa snow over rock sketchiness rockband.gif

Another bit of ice which we simuled, then the endless slog to the summit ridge and a bit more of simuled ice.

Trail down was snowshoed up nice. Total rt was 9 hrs. Very nice and likely a lot more challenging than usual right now with the low snow (no more than two feet on the summit. Most years I have been up there there is about 3 meters)

Gear Notes:

Took 2 pins, 2 screws and 2 pickets. Used it all. 2" stubby screws woulda been nice

437525-lean.jpg.7402d3d241ee0d69d33d9a45bc562843.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A noted local ice guidebook author told me there was never anything anyone would rope up for on the NF ramp of Harvey yellaf.gif

You must have staged those pictures, in other words.

Hey fuck you punk, in most years its a goddamn snowstroll. Try it right now with 4" of snow and 1" of ice over rock and its another matter moon.gif

inspired by this TR (and unexpectedly freed up Saturday to go climbing cuz my wife's friend came down sick, so her travel plans fell thru), Andrew Rennie and I fired up the Ramp today. it had been a very long time since i was up there in the winter, and i'd kinda forgotten how cool the route is: not steep/hard, but with "steppy" bits here and there - plus we diverted onto the side-slabs to climb every piece of water-ice we could get at. and all the time the huge N Face of Harvey is looming above on the right. and the sea for a backdrop. plus close to town.

note to self: get back again soon...

tks guys.

cheers,

how did the gut and the pups butt look?

both pretty lean - this might be a good thing for the buttress, but not for the gut. and "lean" does not mean no snow - there'd be plenty enuf to turn your hands into little blocks of senseless fumblehood. not to mention stone as cold as the heart of a hooker...

i dare say it'll be a while till someone climbs THIS sucker in the winter.

cheers,