[TR] Needle Peak- West Ridge 2/11/2005

Dru

Climb: Needle Peak-West Ridge

Date of Climb: 2/11/2005

Trip Report:

At around 11PM last night I made a spontaneous decision to bail from work today and go climbing instead.

By the time I woke up it was 10AM, so much for the plan to take a quick solo spin up the North Couloir on Slesse* hahaha.gif I decided to head up to Coquihalla Pass. I had both skis and snowshoes and ice tools in the car because of 3 different destinations in mind.

By the time I got to the Needle pullout it was noon so I decided to just go for a snowshoe up Needle Peak. There is about 30cm of heavy freshiez well bonded on top of a super solid ice layer.

I wandered around trying not to destroy the skiers uptrack and checked out the ice formed up under the NF before heading up the west ridge. It was kind of icy and I started to wish I had crampons on for the summit pyramid but I managed to get through Ok by hopping from rock to rock, and scratching steps with my shovel handle

"Summit or die" - well I didn't die so I summitted. tongue.gif It was a really nice day laugh.gif bluebird sky and no one else on the mountain rockband.gifcool.gif

On the way back down I practiced tele turns as my snowshoes slid out on the ice layer. I'm really glad I didnt ski this as I would be wrapped around a tree somewhere instead of home drinking beer bigdrink.gif

Got back to the car just at sunset in time to see a 100m long chunk of ice slide down the slabs on Yak blush.gifblush.gif Do not climb on Yak on sunny winter days! blush.gif

Gear Notes:

Snowshoes

Aluminum crampons would have been nice

Approach Notes:

Highway 5 to pass

Snowshoe up West Ridge trail

Freshiez

*Please note sarcasm here rolleyes.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Lower Fraser had well below normal snowpacks as of February 1, with a Snow Water Index of only 40% of normal. This is a substantial reduction from the January 1 index value. The extremely low snowpack levels throughout the lower Fraser result, in part, from the significant melt and runoff experienced during mid-January, when an intense Pacific frontal system moved onto the south coast, producing high rainfall and elevated freezing levels.

Anyway I'm sure you're right Dru because you have the more energy to post.

We didn't ski right to the bottom, there's a cliff line that you run into about 600 feet down (so we came back up to the ridge). There's only two lines through the cliffs (that I've found) and they're both hard - each time I've skied them there's been mandatory air. rockband.gif

Currently, they are thin WI2!

Hey Dru,

You don't just have to look out for those sunny days on Yak just in the Winter. Last June we were rappping off Yak-Check and just as I finished the second to last rappel, a Greyhound bus sized chunk of snow/ice at the base ripped out and slid down into the forrest. If we were five minutes faster, one of us would have gone for a ride. Saw the same thing on a smaller scale happen on Vicuna the year before.