"Fear Factor" for climbers. . . . .

texplorer

We climbers are typically not as paralyzed by heights like the normal public so what would the climber's version of fear factor include?

A few to get you started

1) How many Gu's can you eat in 1:00 with no water

2) How many frozen 5 year old power bars can you eat in 5 min (negative points for broken teeth)

3) Must tie a figure-eight rewoven while dangling upside-down, in total darkness, with one hand tied behind your back, in freezing conditions while water is poured over you.

4) Crawl 2 miles through cactus infested desert and then be strapped to a backboard for 5 hours.(mike layton -free pass to next round on this one)

5) Read all 52,000 of Dru's smart ass posts

6) Remain 2 min in a vat of starving snaffles

7) Free solo of Yokum Ridge to Willis Wall in-a-push style

8) Post a trip report on CC.com

9) Take the anti-bolt viewpoint on CC.com

10) Climb with Texplorer

kingcobra902.gifkingcobra902.gifkingcobra902.gifkingcobra902.gifkingcobra902.gifkingcobra902.gifkingcobra902.gif

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just my opinion, but then it seems the mods aren't doing their job if that is a problem. I think I know what you're talking about, and there is a fine line between friends making fun of friends and negative spray in the TR section. I don't have a problem with a light hearted TR and people having fun, but it should be just that...fun. Negative B.S. doesn't belong there. Neither does one person's definition of what climbing "really" is.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread, but while I have fun in spray, my favorite part of this site is the TR section.

Post a "real" trip report on this site about anything easier and see what happens. I think this is wrong too but that is just my observation.

All of the mods agree that tr's shouldn't be sprayed on, however you've gotta recognize that we don't moderate as a full time job and 20 obnoxious posts can pile up in a few minutes.

I'm afraid there are a lot of people who loose control when see a TR from Der Toof. wazzup.gif

Lead a sport climb next to a crack Dwayner and Pope are Climbing

Or bolt a crack (on rappel) next to a crack Dwayner & Pope are climbing. Make sure to place bolts every 3 feet for extra credit.

Ummm excuse me...wouldn't that imply that Don and Poop actually climbed. rolleyes.gif....hello

Take a Mounties Intro Class, regardless of your experience.

Spend a mandatory year in Florida with no travel allowed.

Wear shorts over polypro on a 5.12 or up at Smith.

Fall over an overhang when climbing with Simon Yates.

Retrobolt or chip some Dane Burns routes.

Claim that Classic Crack in Leavenworth is harder than 5.8.

Say "that new testpiece at Smith can't be 14b cuz it was done by a chick" in the presence of Tommy Caldwell.

Introduce your girlfriend to Fred Beckey.

Start a thread on cc.com called: "I love the Northwest Forest Pass and the Enchantment permit system."

Edited by jon

1. Have a "meaningful" discussion with our girlfriend.

2. Be open to our feminine side.

3. Climb with a "Mountie".

4. Spend an evening at the opera or ballet

5. Just two words...ice dancing (this be horizontal ice)

6. Attend an event wehere we'd be clothed in formal wear

7. Bake a cake.

8. Make a pie

9. Spend a week with girlfriend along the Oregon coast (motels, dining out) in the summer

10. Spend a whole weekend without thinking/talking about climbing.

wave.gif

YOCUM: Y-O-C-U-M, YOCUM

In summer conditions.

Oh, wait, Tex and TG have already tried that. Since they fled with their lives intact, does this mean they're eliminated?

I suspect an ice climbing trip with Bob could be very entertaining and possibly quite productive, unless one were only a marginally competent goof with an inflated sense of ability, in which case the abuse might reach alarming proportions. That combination would actually be very entertaining for the modern viewing public.

Discuss moving to the Midwest with S.O. Anything within four hours of even a miniscule crag doesn't count.

Write about how your volcano slog "would really be such-and-such a time" if it were in prime speed climbing season, your support crew, er timers had been there to short rope you, etc.

Make a plan for a (non-climbing) career.

I suspect an ice climbing trip with Bob could be very entertaining and possibly quite productive, unless one were only a marginally competent goof with an inflated sense of ability,

Whatever you do don't tangle his ropes shocked.gif You've been warned....

and don't keep him "too tight" on a TR from above. hellno3d.gif

It's probably also best to steer the conversation away from anything like politics. Stick to climbing, sheep, polish vodka, and "how much those clownpuching jokers at cc.com suck".

1. Have a "meaningful" discussion with our girlfriend.

2. Be open to our feminine side.

3. Climb with a "Mountie".

4. Spend an evening at the opera or ballet

5. Just two words...ice dancing (this be horizontal ice)

6. Attend an event where we'd be clothed in formal wear

7. Bake a cake.

8. Make a pie

9. Spend a week with girlfriend along the Oregon coast (motels, dining out) in the summer

10. Spend a whole weekend without thinking/talking about climbing.

wave.gif

Shit! I've done seven of those.

AWESOME THREAD!

1. Climb into a plexi-glass case filled with snow creek wall ticks (just

like fear factor).

2. Wear pink lycra into the Reynolds Bar in Lillooet, B.C. on an ice trip

3. Strongly endorse the traditional ethic on this website (like Royal, Yvon, or the other of America's greatest climbers would)

4. Drive all the way to central Oregon to climb a volcano other than Hood

5. Hike out of the Pickets in August in a pair of Downhill ski boot shells with the liners removed.

6. Be forced to make Vantage the only area you are allowed to go to for the rest of your life.

7. Take a huge whipper in a Whillan's harness while wearing a pair of briefs.

8. Bivy in the shitter at Muir on a hot August night in preparation for your thousandth trip up D.C.

9. Start up the approach drainage to Drury falls during an avy advisory.

10. Take a Mountaineers or NOLS course

11. Move to North Dakota

12. Eat a case of cold 10 year old malt nut Powerbars in 24 hours.

bigdrink.gif