What type of routes to you prefer?

TimL

Everyone has an eye for certain types of routes that catch their attention. I’d even say the types of routes we climb are a reflection of our character at times. I have friends that love overhanging faces, bold headwalls, soaring dihedrals, deep hidden couloirs, fluted ice faces, etc…. My preference towards routes involves beauty, boldness and distinctiveness. For instance, I think the Salathe Wall and Nose on El Cap are awesome. The line up the headwall on the Salathe and the upper dihedrals on the Nose look spectacular. I also like soaring arêtes like Clean Break on Juno Tower and gulley ice climbs. When crag climbing I prefer routes of the same nature. For the sake of wasting time at work, what type of routes do you prefer to climb and why?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some routes seem to just call to me. I glanced at a picture of Alpamayo and the peaks of the Ishinca Vally in Peru and had to go. Some of the most daring climbing I've been fortunate enough to do.

It's the same way with mountaineering - Denali, Acongacua, they seem to have had a key to my brain and guide me to their flanks.

But you're asking what routes do I like? First of all the ones that nobody does. Like at Smith Rock there is a climb called Crossfire. No spandex boi's playing on that one. Chanti Spire in the North Cascades. Soloing long alpine climbs. This question is getting frustrating, I guess I don't have a straight forward answer.

Clean corners, and long straight cracks. Liebacks, offwidth, whatever as long as it is parallel and seems to go as far as the eye can see. I also like huge roofs next to my cracks and sometimes over them. Long hand traverses on exposed ledges are good too.

Someone took an excellent photo of the upper pitches of Outer Space (in photo album from rope-up weekend I think) that is exactly what i like, though the photo makes it look harder and cooler than it actually was.

Routes with good position or routes that ascend cool features rank highly, for starters. Long, moderately overhanging endurance affairs with varied climbing are always enjoyable. Short steep routes with huge holds and bouldery moves. Long, easy trad routes, but no more than one per year if possible. Highball boulder problems are swell. Hard, moderate, or easy routes that are fun and on good rock. Pretty much any route that's fun and not a chosspile and isn't a terrifying slab/friction/friable nubbins venture is good. Routes without a half-hour line at the base. Any route from which at least 20 people can watch you pose and can hear you spraying about how tough this route is and how rad you are. The red tape route at the gym is just classic. Same with the blue and white taped boulder problem, but with the third and seventh holds off, using the alternate sit start on the orange undercling, and finishing on the grey sloper. Rad.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

Same with the blue and white taped boulder problem, but with the third and seventh holds off, using the alternate sit start on the orange undercling, and finishing on the grey sloper. Rad.

[laf] watched this play out exactly at PRG's cave the other day [laf]

Sorry, Jordo, you've got those routes confused with more indegineous Northwest ones like cattails, potatos or wild leek. Best to stick to these routes in the NW.

My flavor in routes run to high grade low class stuff that keeps the crowds down. I even saw a woof once!

I like routes that really make you feel like you pushed your limit and acomplished something, not ones that make you feel like a fat lazy stoner...

Ah well, at least good drugs can fill the void that failure leaves in your gut...se-la-ve [big Drink]

[ 10-29-2002, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Lambone ]