Expedition Stove

Timcb

So, Dragonfly or XGK?

I need a stove primarily for cold, wet weather, and expedition use. Multifuel a must.

I've always used a Dragonfly, which I just love, but I know that the XGK was designed for just these sorts of uses. Now I'm getting a new stove, so the question is, should I get another Dragonfly, or something else?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've liked the Primus Multifuel the couple times I've used one -- though I haven't tried it at altitude or in conditions that would really push its limits. Also, MSR is supposed to be coming out with a bunch of new stoves sometime in the near future (but I don't know anything beyond that)...

Which is why they're giving you 20% off the existing model no doubt. Not that this doesn't make it a good deal. The rigid fuel line would make the stove much more stable, especially if you're going to build a base for it for use on snow or in a tent.

Question remains though, not where to buy an XGK, but whether to buy one.

Why wouldn't I just get another Dragonfly? Is there a better stove out there than either of these? We have the mention of the Primus brands.. Anybody use these stoves between 14 and 19,000'?

What's the advantage of a flexible fuel line on the XGK?

Do hanging canister stoves work well at high altitude? I know they're not so great in the cold, but maybe your tent would be a bit warmer than the freeze outside..

I may get shot down for this, but I've been extreemly happy with my Simmerlite for winter camping. Granted it does not have the full power of something like the XKG but from what I've seen it comes close, lighter then the Dragonfly too, and simmers just as well. If you want something for dedicated expadishion use then I'd get the XKG, but I've been very happy with my stove.

Cheers: Rob

Solid tubing can make it more stable but makes it more bulky when packed. Doesn't fit in a pot. The flexable hose will make it more packable.

The XGK is jetted to work better at high altitude, I believe, than all their other stoves.

The Simmerlite is jetted to work below 14K. After that, the performance will decrease greatly. The XGK is the all around MSR workhouse.

I like my Simmerlite (light and small) for lower elevation climbs.

Tim, I would not want to rely on my tent being warmer for my stove to function well. Making water is too important.

Why wouldn't I just get another Dragonfly? Is there a better stove out there than either of these? We have the mention of the Primus brands.. Anybody use these stoves between 14 and 19,000'?

I'm not a gear nut so can't help you with many of these questions but I have used both the dragonfly and xkg at the altitudes you are talking about and both are great stoves there. I can't say one was really better than the other...they both boiled and melted water and pretty easy to use , ya know? so, i'd say if you liked the dragonfly then just get another. it's what i shelled out for. great little stove.

they only advice is to make sure you shut them off at the bottle and not the 'adjuster thingy". one climbing partner didn't do this and it would freeze the fuel in the line during the night . after watching him turn the stove off like that once I smacked him upside the head and that took care of our stove troubles .

Cool. Thanks for all your feedback.

I went to REI last night and fired up their test XGK. It looks solid for certain, but I really don't like how cumbersome (and not collapseable) it is, and I'll confess that I've gotten spoiled by the option to simmer. The Dragonfly seems a lot more stable too.

I also emailed MSR customer service and they got right back to me within ~5 minutes thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif. Here's what they said:

Secondly, we say the XGK stove is the best at high elevations because of

simplicity of the stove. There are far more moving parts in the

Dragonfly so, what can go wrong will go wrong attitude plays into this

choice. However due to the holes in the Dragonfly body casing the stove

is still able to get the right amount of oxygen for priming. However,

the XGK still will prime a lot quicker therefore have melted snow

quicker and having a hot mean meal faster than the Dragonfly will be

able to do so. These are just a couple of reasons to why the XGK is the

expedition stove of choice. Still the Dragonfly will perform perfectly

up at those wonderful elevations.

So I think I'm going to stick with the Dragonfly.

BTW, MSR is a great company (or maybe a great brand of a good company)

I have the XGK and Whisper Lite stoves. Whisper Lites are great for packpacking trips when you just want to sit around camp a enjoy the alpine experience. I use my XGK for rapid advances on a summit and when I really don't care if it sounds like a 747 is going to land on my bivy site. If you want the heat and you want it quick, get the XGK. I like the idea of the flex hose. Should have put those on years ago.

Just bought a SnowPeak stove with igniter. Seems to work smooth and you can't beat the weight and compact size.

• 2 weeks later...