Alien Failure Hoax on RC.com

catbirdseat

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And a bunch of other people saying, "if you don't trust your Aliens anymore, I'll take them off their hands". And still more people singing the praise of Aliens, while others plug their favorites (usually Zeros). It was a lot of smoke, and no fire.

The most interesting parts came from the engineer types and CCH employees who talked about how Aliens and other cams are manufactured.

The take home message for me was that you shouldn't trust absolutely in any ONE cam.

I have seen two broken aliens. They did not brake in falls because I noticed the frayed cables before it happened. Once I noticed the fray I bent the head back and forth a couple of times and the weld completely broke. After alot of aid climbing (like 20+ grade VI's) on aliens the weld will start to brake. the is also the case with double stem junior camalots. I have never completely broke a camalot but have retired them after I noticed frayed welds. Sorry no photo evidence either.

I am a metalworker, looking at an Alien, and I don't see any welds anywhere in the Alien. I see swages, collars, machined press fit connections, and maybe some epoxy, but no welds. cantfocus.gif The main cable is brazed into a sleeve at the axle joint, there are no welds in an alien.

Edited by Nick

I sent 5.8 once but not take professional quality. photo.

I will reproduse wtih impartial observers from both parties, to certify.

I was there. It was in fact 5.7d. Squid attested that since a "key hold" had broken off the route should be upgraded, but a strenuous drop knee keeps the rating as is.

Allow me to step in here...

As somewhat of an expert on things like this, may I say that this happens all the time.

Something really might have happened...

Somebody might have seen something, and he might have a picture, but until there is habius corpus ...

It's all just monster stories.

But, why did I recieve an email forwarded from a person very high up in a undisclosed retail manufacturer that describes a secret society made up of the top exceutives from all the outdoor related industries...this situation concerns them very much and some say that the reason that no pictures were posted was that high level endorsement deals were threatend, unleashing a chain of events that led to mounting suspision, culminating in a shocking display of levels and levels of speculation.

The mission of these faceless giants is simple: To control the outdoor recreation world.

The message states that this orginazation, known only as "O.R." meets only twice a year, once in Salt Lake City, and once in San Diego.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=81098&forum=23

-or - for those too lazy to click the link: it says verbatum,

" CCH has responded to Quietmonk with regards to the incident which he described on Feb. 2, 2005. We have requested he send in the Alien for review by a metallergist.

Regarding Boadman, his employment at CCH lasted for a total of 80 hours and does not make him an expert at the process of the manufacturing nor quality control of Alien Cams. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, however.

Please understand that we are in the business of building a product that saves lives and we DO NOT take that lightly! Alien Cams have had a great reputation of performance and reliability for almost 20 years by climbers worldwide.

Thank you for using a great product that is designed, machined and manufactured entirely in the United States of America.

CCH, Inc."

End of story.

Bill