Sexy PETA Vegetarians?

Thinker

Overheard in a college library "I don't eat meat, meat is a symbol of the patriarchy" WTF? hellno3d.gif

Most vegans I've met are absent a sense of humour at the very least, a few screws often. It's damn hard to get enough calories for an active lifestyle eschewing all animal products.

There is actually a book out there called "The Sexual Politics of Meat" which supposedly argues that white males used consumption of animal protein to fortify themselves for the conquest and continual subordination of women and minorities -- or something like that.

Must be high on the vegan reading list.

Just in case you thought I was joking...

Here It Is

"I first read THE SEXUAL POLITICS OF MEAT in 1990. I had just become a vegetarian. This book connected my feminist politics with my vegetarian politics. This book was a groundbreaking work in ecofeminist theory. Ms. Adams shows how a patriarchal society oppresses animals, women and the very planet Earth itself. She shows us how our dietary choices can be a resistance to the oppressive patriarchal status quo. This book continues to empower me. In 2004 this book is more relevant than ever"

"I could go on & on about this book. It is one the most inspiring and thought-provoking books I've ever read. I first read this book around the time I became a Vegan, developed a serious interest in Sociology, and earned a greater respect for Feminism. To truly appreciate and understand this book, one has to read it with an open mind. Some of the concepts and theories may seem extreme or abstract at first, but I suggest that people give Adams's text time to marinate."

"Engaging overview, from a post-structuralist/postmodern vantage point, of the linkage between meat-eating and patriarchy and feminism and vegetarianism. One of the purposes of the book is to emphasize the role of the "absent referent" as an essential influence on cultural and social discourse. In doing so, Adams calls attention to the ways in which acceptable modes of thinking and behaving are structured within the cultural framework. All in all, a very readable, well-researched, and engrossing examination of the integral connections (oppression) between vegetarianism and feminism."

"I was so moved by this extraordinary text. Interrogating the assumptions of white male Women beaters/meat eaters, this important work examines how the white dominating and oppressive culture dictates that the eating of meat is 'good' and even 'necessary', subject Peoples of Color to dietary regimes alien to their own subjectivities. As the writer notes, there is considerable resistance among patriarchal-dominated discourses to vegetarianism. This resistance is a form of textual rape, to be combatted by a 'taste of their own medicine': "A vegetarian writer may express feelings about textual violation by referring to images of butchered animals and raising the issue of dismemberment." A wonderful book, highly recommended."

Surely a wonderful companion to "The Sexual Politics of K2 Ascents"...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks jayb, that book review has caused me to re-examine my life.

not wanting to be involved in any more "textual rape", i'm going to the dentist on monday to get my 4 vestigial canines pulled out and replaced with soft pencil erasers.

absent referents = erase + revise! thanks again.

Was always amused by my former animal-rights vegetarian g/f who had her cat declawed, yet let him out at night - poor thing would come back beaten to shit every morning.

"I will not eat meat due to it's cruelty (or let you watch bullriding) but I have had the first knuckle of my cat's toes amputated leaving him incapable of defending himself or escaping enemies by climbing."

'course as a former rancher, I've always eaten meat for moral reasons.