new outdoor clothing company in vancouver

fullofadventure

WESTCOMB, http://www.westcomb.com/ a Vancouver company looks to be making some pretty cool gear has just opened their website to give a sneak preview of their products. I have not seen any of the products in person yet but just from looking over the site it looks to be high end quality gear, almost Arc’teryx like. Hmmm I wonder how their prices will compare.

I have been in communication with them through e-mail a few times and asked some questions and found out some info.

All products are made in Vancouver (very important to me). Certain accessories such as Hats and T-shirts may or may not be made locally.

They say Westcomb is a multi-outdoor sports brand. Many of the fabrications and technologies can be cross applied to different outdoor activities. They say they try to keep most of our products versatile, with the exception of a few designs aimed at our 'hard core' users.

They are licensed fabric user of Malden Mill's Polartec series, Schoeller fabrics and technologies (nano-sphere http://www.nano-sphere.ch/

being one of them, this stuff is cool I have a few samples given to me by Schoeller), and Pontetorto S.p.A. They said eVENT will be something they hope to have in their line for fall 2006.

I look forward to seeing what they do with eVENT.

So there you have it a new local company that we can support (if the style and quality is good). I myself like the canyon half zip (10oz) and canyon pant (9oz) made from Schoeller Dryskin; it is in the windshell category.

Edited by fullofadventure

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh no I am just letting people now about a company who choose not to outsource its labor. I did apply for a job there though but they are not hiring until they see how the brand takes off.

Why is it that just because I make a few posts about new gear and such you people seem to get mad? I am just trying to help out so people can know what is out there and can make educated gear choices. When I first started out I wasted too much money and bought like 4000 worth of Arc’teryx clothes in one day only to sell most of it later because it did not serve me well for what I do.

Perhaps it is because in your original post, you can't seem to stick to third person, and will occasionally go first person, by saying such things as "We try to keep most of our products versatile, with the exception of a few designs aimed at our 'hard core' users."

Now, if you had quoted that line, such as I did, people might be less inclined to think you are saying it, and maybe believe that you are quoting the response you received when you contacted this company.

They say Westcomb is a multi-outdoor sports brand. Many of the fabrications and technologies can be cross applied to different outdoor activities. For example, the same jacket you use for its insulating and breathability properties on an early morning hike can easily be used as a mid-layering piece for a snowboarder. We try to keep most of our products versatile, with the exception of a few designs aimed at our 'hard core' users.

They are licensed fabric user of Malden Mill's Polartec series, Schoeller fabrics and technologies (nano-sphere http://www.nano-sphere.ch/

being one of them, this stuff is cool I have a few samples given to me by Schoeller), and Pontetorto S.p.A. eVENT will be something we hope to have in our line for fall 2006.

I look forward to seeing what they do with eVENT.

I guess it's because of interchanging the words "they" and "we" that aroused suspicion.

Bio: I'm 28 years old and just recently got back into spending time in the outdoors. I began doing the Grouse Grind in the summer of 2002 and loved it. I started skiing again after a 15 year hiatus and thought to myself, look what you have been missing. I look forward to doing lots of backpacking in Beautifull BC for years to come.

Hey FOA you seem to have a high level of technofetishism for a relatively low (2 years, if hiking Grouse Grind even counts) level of experience. Please do not confuse a high level of technical knowledge of product weights, specifications and materials for a knowledge of how products work in actual use. You will find people on c.com are a lot less tolerant of apparent ad copy cut and pasted from emails than people on clubtread are.

O, give him a break.

I called the store and person who answered was so happy and full of energy. He said that they just came back from Salt Lake City show and they got some very good comments from distributors.

Garments will be sold in Valhalla Pure. I am glad that we have more options here in Vancouver. We all will benefit from that eventually.

If you ever visited Navarrogear, Sugoi, ROI, Arcteryx and MEC sale you know what I mean.

We all know what we need even before we read about the gear or clothes. Most of the time price play the biggest role. If you know that you need Shoeller jacket you have choice to buy Serendipity from there:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.42542/dept_id./qx/product.htm

Or to buy it from ROI for $40 CAD.

Idea is to buy good stuff cheap. Isn't it?

Maybe they will have sale next year too.

Who knows.

Z

Edited by Zoran

lets not have this thread degenerate to attacking dude's qualification to comment because he hasn't finished 2 NOLS courses. I for one am excited to hear there will soon be new options for windshirts on the market! Thanks for the heads up FOA wave.gif

Hey Dru thanks for posting my bio (old by they way) on here, not sure what you hoped to prove in doing so. All the bio states that I discovered joy of hiking by doing the grouse grind but that does not mean that is all I do or have done. Hey we all have to start somewhere right. You sound like some elitist by saying does the grouse grind really count. Hiking is hiking, just because I do not climb rock or ice or summit mountains like Rainier does make me any less of a hiker/backpacker. Come on everyone all bow to the hiking god that is Dru. WOW judging by your 23909 posts (on this website alone) you must be either a skilled mountain climber….or a really lonely person. Are all you posts this negative and pointless?

You say I have a technical fetishism for my 2 years experience, and perhaps I do but what is wrong with wanting to be an educated consumer when it comes to shelling out money for gear. Also look this was not and ad man, I just wanted to let people know about a new company that makes products here instead of outsourcing the labor. That whole subject/topic is important to me and I hope it is to others too. If I had never made this post, most/if not all of you would have not known about this new company.

I am not trying to pick a fight with you Dru but I am not just gonna sit here and take it either.

Every one of FOA's posts is a gear recommendation, complete with url link. It's pretty obvious that you are a promoter of some kind.

The westcomb site uses awkward english and has a singapore office.

This may or may not be a good product line, but the subterfuge makes me suspicious.