Things, and TV shows

Bogen

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... The citizens of Canada need to realize that they cannot inflict this kind of aesthetic crimes on the rest of humanity indefinitely and expect to be insulated in your little northern citadel when the rest of the world gets fed up and decides to retaliate.

Sorry, JayB, but we're not the ones paying for the product. This is market forces at work, pure and simple. You've developed a taste for formulaic garbage, and are more than willing to pay through the nose to get it, and that's nobody's fault but yours. Blaming Canada for your Celine Dion infatuation is no different than blaming Colombia for all the cocaine you guys consume. If there wasn't such an insatiable demand for the stuff, no-one would be producing it. So look deep into your own soul - our conscience is clear. grin.gif

The chickens will come home to roost in a big way when Celine puts on a free Canada Day concert on a barge moored near Squamish. The foundations of your little hamlet will crumble when the sub-woofers kick in during the Titanic Theme dance mix....

BTW - you guys can definitely hang onto Naomi Klein...

after spending serious time with my well-educated inlaws in BC and Ontario, who have made a ~righteous fine art~ (a la murray) outta rippin american-style pop culture in general...

what gets played at xmas dinner in Ottawa? celine.

and what did i hear at the North Vancouver shopping mall? shania.

at first, i thought: y'alls trying to be ironic, right? this is like an atom egoyan post-modern joke?

but nope, 'cos why watch canadian art films, when Ellen D's on the tube? there is a hella disconnect in canadian culture, about how much pop crap is actually consumed every day.

it's virtually the same shit as in the states, music/food/movies/TV. we just make less rationalizations for our appetite. ya know, poutine is just french fries with gravy on top.

I love pop culture. 2 and a half men is great, carson daly's afternoon show rocks. Even Regis is better than stuff like ellen, raymond, alias... these things just freak me out. Who the hell watches some of this shit?

Some (many?) of us have parents/in-laws like those in Raymond. That's one thing that makes that show popular. The best thing is to watch the show with said person in the room - laughing your ass off...

BTW - you guys can definitely hang onto Naomi Klein...

OMG klein is canadian. What a parody of herself she's become. Did you know that NoLogo is a registered trademark?

In her bio they describe her as "North American." I suppose that is to give her some credibility to an American audience? What a tool!!

What was No Logo's central argument again? Something like brands are bad because they use advertising to promote a naive consumerism amongst the populace?

The pillars of capitalism will surely buckle under the weight of that argument....