random drug tests

gapertimmy

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are drug tests the norm beyond govt jobs now? I personally don't like marijuana being an illegal drug. Primarily because it doesn't kill people. Sure, maybe 20 years down the road like cigarettes, but unlike alcohol, pot doesn't make you go out and run people over stoned. Besides, the govt could actually tax the crap out of it like they do tobacco and make some money.

I only heard a brief bit on the news of some quadraplegic in Oregon getting busted by the feds for what Oregon law says he can do, grow marijuana at his residence. Does the 10th amendment mean anything?

i got tested recently for an insurance job....i passed(cuz i am a good boy [Roll Eyes] ). but then i met all the depressed/angery fat slobs that work there and decied that they need to smoke pot and smash their televisions...so instead of taking the job i am going climbing!!!!

corperate america is dumb....

i do think its pretty bogus, and i think i got chosen today cuz the lady that does the tests is pissed off at me (thats what I don't like about this "random" system)

if i didn't like my job as much as i do, i wouldn't put up with the bs. instead i just have to watch meself and save my fun for the summertime when i get laid off

do you guys remember when drug testing was entering our work culture, the postal workers' took the federal government to prohibit the practice of random drug tests? They won the suit, if I recall correctly, but the truly ironic thing was, it didn't apply to the private sector! Just them.

I can help you guys randomly test any drugs you got!

I got tested about a year and a half ago. Not by my company, but by a client. I had no idea it was coming and I had spent the entire previous Saturday getting baked. I was totally trapped into doing it so I pissed in the cup. I told my boss I couldn't guarantee that I could pass the test when I got back to the office that day just to ease the shock. However, that was the last I heard of it. I don't really know what to make of it. I still spend most of my time working for that client.

quote:

Originally posted by Texas Speed:

I got tested about a year and a half ago. Not by my company, but by a client. I had no idea it was coming and I had spent the entire previous Saturday getting baked. I was totally trapped into doing it so I pissed in the cup. I told my boss I couldn't guarantee that I could pass the test when I got back to the office that day just to ease the shock. However, that was the last I heard of it. I don't really know what to make of it. I still spend most of my time working for that client.

maybe they wanted to make sure you were down!?!?

[Cool]

When I was in college I swore I'd never sink so low as to piss in a cup. This was more out of principle than the fact I'd fail.

Well, the day actually came and I did the deed for a job I wanted. Nothing ever came of it and it makes me think the testing process itself may be flawed, testing clinics underfunded, or just a smoke screen by companies to deter the... um, smoke.

Party on Garth [big Drink]

yeah, testing mostly sucks. As an employer, I've done it to an employee once because he was fucking up big time, missing work and not calling in, and hanging out with a new girlfriend who I knew was a big part of tweaker culture out at the Nisqually tribe. He admitted to doing meth, but that he was turning his back on it, and the random test confirmed that. (though the testing agency called to tell me it was a positive test, he'd been smoking pot. I think they didn't quite know what to make of it when I said "Oh, good, its a good outcome.") The employee in question is still with me, but not with the bad egg girlfriend anymore. Drug tests suck, but so do junkies, and when you have employees unsupervised inside client's homes, there is a liability question.

quote:

Originally posted by Off White:

yeah, testing mostly sucks. As an employer, I've done it to an employee once because he was fucking up big time, missing work and not calling in, and hanging out with a new girlfriend who I knew was a big part of tweaker culture out at the Nisqually tribe. He admitted to doing meth, but that he was turning his back on it, and the random test confirmed that. (though the testing agency called to tell me it was a positive test, he'd been smoking pot. I think they didn't quite know what to make of it when I said "Oh, good, its a good outcome.") The employee in question is still with me, but not with the bad egg girlfriend anymore. Drug tests suck, but so do junkies, and when you have employees unsupervised inside client's homes, there is a liability question.

Seriously, from an employer's perspective, what information do you get from the labs? Sounds like they give you specifics on "positives" and it's at your discretion wheter to blink an eye. Is that right?