Seracs on Coleman Glacier

Farrgo

I have to take some people out on Saturday to do some ice climbing madgo_ron.gif and I was thinking that possibly the only ice within an easy day trip of Bellingham would be the seracs on the coleman glacier. Does anyone know if these things are opened up? I'd assume they are because of the lack of snow, but does anyone know for sure?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For sure? No, but ablation zone ice is visible on the lower White Salmon at a similar elevation. I'd assume the Coleman icefall is partially filled in with a mix of consolidated wet snow from before the rains and unconsolidated wet snow that has fallen since (maybe 6 inches or so, with more expected by Saturday). To me that suggests there's seracing to be had, but I'd watch where I stepped.

Post a report if you go, with particular attention to trail conditions and snow levels for us hard-to-please skiers.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA

854 AM PST THU FEB 3 2005

.SYNOPSIS...HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE AREA WILL GIVE WAY TO AN UPPER

LEVEL TROUGH AND COLD FRONT FRIDAY. AFTER A COOL AND SHOWERY START

TO THE WEEKEND...DRY WEATHER WILL RETURN FOR SUNDAY AND CONTINUE

INTO NEXT WEEK AS HIGH PRESSURE ONCE AGAIN MOVES OVER WESTERN

WASHINGTON.

I just went up there this morning. The road WAS snow free in the early morning and I drove all the way to the trail, then it started to dump. The trail has a dusting of snow in the trees and four+ inches in the open, closer to the glacier. The seracs are open, just a little filled in. When I headed back to B'ham at 9h30, there was about four inches of new snow at the trail head, and it kept snowing all the way until you meet up with the stream (glacier creek?).