Cougars shouldn't mess with me!

David_Parker

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This must be a growing trend, I had to fend one off on 10/22/02 while hiking in Mt. Rainier Nat'l Park. Nailed it with a rock from 10-12 feet. That only pissed it off, it decided to run when my wife and friend ran down the trail yelling at it. I think the cougar was sizing me up for a little snack... [chubit]

..I needed a couple [big Drink][big Drink] that night..

Vancouver island is notorious for its mountain lion population (overpopulation?). I think it was last year that a guy was pulled off his bike by a cougar, but was fortunately saved when the garbage man drove up. The garbage truck wasn't enough to scare the lion, though. The driver got out of the truck and used the guy's bike as a shield and weapon.

Vancouver Island cougars do seem to be unusually aggressive. The island accounts for something like 2/3 of all cougar attacks in BC. In the past century, cougars have killed four people on Vancouver Island, only one in the rest of BC.

Most cougar attacks are not fatal. Most occur on children. Bees and vicious dogs kill far more people.

Keeping the pack light and leaving behind stuff you're unlikely to use is a basic climbing principle. I cannot imagine a good climber ever judging that the risk of cougar attacks justified bringing along a revolver and a bowie knife.

You'll never see the one that gets you. They attack from behind, a bite to the back of the neck. Perhaps if you carried the gun in your hand at all times, with the safety off...with luck you won't shoot yourself when you trip.

quote:

-------------

I have a halloween mask of Richard Nixon strapped to my pack. We'll scare em' comin and goin.

-------------

I read somewhere that woodcutters in the mangrove swamps of Bangladesh (one of the last tiger strongolds on the Indian subcontinent) started wearing such masks on the backs of their heads (perhaps not Nixon masks) and it reduced Tiger predation deaths markedly.

I can see the Vancouver Island tourist board telling visitors to wear Nixon masks backward...

quote:

I read somewhere that woodcutters in the mangrove swamps of Bangladesh (one of the last tiger strongolds on the Indian subcontinent) started wearing such masks on the backs of their heads (perhaps not Nixon masks) and it reduced Tiger predation deaths markedly.

I'm glad that there are still some people out there committed to chopping up those pesky mangroves... [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by estivate:

quote:

-------------

I have a halloween mask of Richard Nixon strapped to my pack. We'll scare em' comin and goin.

-------------

I can see the Vancouver Island tourist board telling visitors to wear Nixon masks backward...

This is correct about the masks to cover the back of the head. I saw it on the Discovery Channel. Apparently the cats only like to attack when your back is turned and are fooled by the mask.

To clear up a few things, Trask probably just saw a picture of a Desert Eagle .50 AE and is unaware that it weighs in at nearly 4 pounds. Not what I would choose for a pack weapon, even if I could afford it. A cougar can be easily dispatched with a .22 magnum if your hunting it. For ending an attack a .38 special would suffice.

I used to live in Alaska and know of several bear attacks where the person was able to draw their weapon and fire at point blank after the attack had started. (My high school teacher wrote a book about real bear attacks) The reason I carry a gun is because I would rather find out for myself if I could get the gun out in time then not have the chance to try. As for the possibility that I might shoot myself, (an idea usually forwarded by those who are not comfortable with guns in the first place) SO WHAT?? Let me see, get eaten or take a chance that you will put one more hole in your flesh to go with all those tooth and claw marks....Thinking....

Remember, the old guy at the top of this thread reached into his pocket, opened a folding knife, and then proceded to stab the hell out of the cougar.

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

You're full of shit Gimpy. I've been shooting guns since I was 5 years old. I got my first gun for christmas at 8 years old...a Rugar M77 .308. Unless you know me personally, don't stereotype me.

OK Trask, IF you realy do carry a 67 oz. gas opperated rotary lug handgun daily I apologize. Otherwise you are indeed full of shit and it shows.