Costco softshell!

Bogen

39 dollars. Lighter, more water resistant and breathes better than my MEC composite. It is also wider in the sleeve, allowing an insulative layer underneath, something I have trouble with in most "technical" softshells. Stitching seems solid so far, and it's made in Canada. Pockets open wide, and are set and cut to be above a harness. Claims, and seems to be, made for climbers! I paid 160 for my made-in-Thailand MEC composite, and its a piece of crap by comparison. Costco has another batch this week, and they won't last long.

Edited by Bogen

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They've been bringing these in every few months all winter. The women's version is only $35 the_finger.gif ... and comes in pretty colours like Lavender and Taupe.

I summited Mt. Adams in mine. I did not die ... phew!

After 3 or 4 washings some of the top stiching is coming out though. NBD, I know how to sew.

I think the reason it looks like it was made for climbers is that it is practically a stitch by stitch ripoff of an MEC model yellaf.gif ... maybe fishstick can comment on that. I think the same company got in trouble last year for trademark infringement on Lululemon yogawear knock-offs.

The women's version brand is AVIA, the men's has a different label name.

You'll have to come up here! wave.gif

Funny, there is a "Blue Harbour" clothing line from Marks and spencer, but on closer inspection my label says "Blue Harbor" with the americanized spelling. I don't see anything for the latter spelling on google.

I am interested in what the fabric used in these things is. I heard from another source that these things soak up water... I am curious as to whether it is a cotton/lycra blend. It definitely isn't Schoeller, DryTrek, Tweave etc. but then again there are 30 different brands of "softshell" fabric on the market. Any fabric geeks (fishstick? Don?) care to comment?

The Canadian Costco sucks. No alcohol, they couldn't run either my debit or my credit card and the house ATM wouldn't work either. Apparantly Bank of America isn't a widely recognized financial institution. So then they were going to re-ring everything to refigure the price in US$ rather than Canadian pesos - I suggested maybe we just use the exchange rate to recalculate? (Oh yeah, that'll work too!)

Then the woman at the food stand warned me that my hot dog contained... Pork! I told her, "sounds fine, just don't douse it in that goddamned gravy..."

BC Bud clearly has had it's way with these people...

-t