Bouldering pad

Dr_Crash

I am looking for a bouldering pad for my mini boulderer boy. Any recommendations? Cordless D-Lux according to http://www.toprope.com/whatshot/crashpad/crashinreview.htm though I don't know how easy Taco style pads are to carry. I'll do the carry, the mini boulderer being 46" tall. I like him, I don't want him to fall on the ground too much wink.gif

The Bittersweet single wide looks big and a decent price ($129). Metolius has their double size pad on sale for $126 too but that might be too big.

Where to find them cheap? Used?

Thanks!

drC

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

i bought a misty pad 3 years ago and we have become very close. We have spent many cold nights together and I love her dearly. However she has become soft and isnt there to meet my needs anymore. So alas i feel that we have grown apart but i will be purchasing another misty pad plus they even have a carpet type covering so us can clean your shoes and when you sleep on it you sleeping bag doesnt slide everywhere.

Tips on reviving your beloved Misty:

If your padding has become soft after being used as a sleeping pad from too many road trips, there are cheaper options than buying a new crash pad.

You can buy custom-cut pieces of foam at obscure 'foam shops' to bring new life to your beloved misty. You can pick the firmness of your padding to suit your needs (glorified sleeping pad or highball lifesaver).

In Seattle, I've gone to 'Ali & Joe's Friendly Foam Shop' and these guys rock.

Ali & Joe's Friendly Foam Shop

5311 Roosevelt Way Northeast, Seattle, WA 98105

I dare you to say 'foam' twenty times really fast.

check out climb max in portland or order online at pagangear.com and you can get one around $89

This will be the worst $89 dollars you could spend on a crash pad if you want something that will actually last and keep you from busting your heels. Like Mad Rock shoes and other off-brand knock-off products, they are cheap for a reason; usually crappy materials (in the case of this pad, the foam is super-squishy and bottoms out easily), crappy construction, etc. Spend the extra 40 or 50 bills on something quality from Metolius, Misty, Cordless (now Revolution), or the like. You'll more than get your money's worth with a well-built pad that will last, and save your junior boulderer's heels when he's 72" tall and pitching onto it from twice that height.

Dr. Flash Amazing's advice is, as per usual, good as gold and cheap as dirt. Enjoy!

thumbs_up.gif

hey squid thanks for that info, maybe ill look into getting a new foam insert.. and yeah the climb max pads suck. My friend she won one at a comp a year ago and it sucked I could compile a list of negatives for you but im in class and supposed to be listening to my lecture so i dont have time. You get what you pay for and your son will not disown you when he breaks both heals on the 2nd rate pad.

• 4 weeks later...

Dr. Crash- the Franklin is sweet, one of the most reassuring pads I've fallen on.

In general- the Metolius Large pad isn't really that large, it's actually a perfect size IMO. I also found out after throwing it in a puddle, that Metolius covers their foam with a plastic liner-mega bonus. Plus, they're still on sale on the Metolius site!