Wind shirts continued

Dr_Crash

A note to the people who contributed to having my 'Patagucci houdini' topic locked: don't bother; if you don't have anything to contribute, STFU smile.gif One jab is fine, too many is dumb.

If the WT wind shirt and the Houdini aren't wind proof, what are they good for then? (And good reminder about the forecast NOLSe...).

drC

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rolleyes.gif

I dunno there Mr. Official NOLS guy, I thought I might have felt a hint of a breeze once or twice while I've been out climbing in the cascades, and I could be crazy, but putting on my windshirt seemed to prevent that wind from cutting through my baselayer and making me chilly, but then again, I ain't an official NOLS guy with "experience in the outdoor retail industry", so I could be wrong. Those wiley, wacky retailers - it's just like them to make a product for rain and call it a "wind" shirt. SHeesh. They sure are dumb.

ps - what does the "e" stand for at the end of your name? "Evicted" perhaps?

pps - Crash, sorry, but it doesn't seem like you are getting very good advice on cc.com on this issue. Perhaps you should go talk to someone who knows what the fuck they are talking about. I recommend Jim Nelson. I recently read about the Montbell Ultralight Windshirt (2.6oz I think) with a supposedly 100 wash-proof DWR coating and a full zip. Might wanna check that one out. I've got the MEC Genie windshirt that Dru talks about below and it does the trick and was cheap. Cheers.

Having a different opinion is acceptable fox. You don't have to feel threatened that someone is going to cut you down just because you haven't worked 4 years in gear shops and completed 2 NOLS courses by 19... only I do.

I agree wind is a concern but if DrC is going to climb alpine (perhaps DrC could list a few routes that he feels he would bring this on in addition to the time of year so we could better answer his question) he should bring a layer that he isn't going to trash unless he has money to throw around. He should bring a layer that will protect him from wind and stand up to rock abuse... something stretch.

Sorry for contributing.

I gotta say that my goretex doesn't keep me dry in prolonged rain. I would only wear windshirts for wind protection. An EPIC shirt will be more water resistant than most, but none will keep water out for long. IMHO one of the superlight rain shells out there would be more appropriate for unexpected rain. In my experience, a windshirt is best for when you're working hard and putting out a lot of moisture. When you're moving slow because you're tired or at altitude, goretex works better since it'll keep you warmer at the lower level of exertion.

And, again IMHO, a hood is very useful to extend the temperature range of a jacket.

If the WT wind shirt and the Houdini aren't wind proof, what are they good for then?

drC

mostly wearing under conditions, like windy days, where you can get away with not wearing a heavier shell - or where say, you are scraping your shell up and would rather trash a $50 windshirt than a $500 Goretex jacket cut for a monkey! hahaha.gif

To sum up -

DrC says:

If the WT wind shirt and the Houdini aren't wind proof, what are they good for then?

Cap'n NOLSe replies:

Unexpected rain... Wind is generally not a concern in these parts.

But wait! Then Dru says:

...dont expect any waterproofness or insulative value but [a windshirt] will keep the cold wind out of your armpits on a spring day.

and Cap'n NOLSe replies:

I agree wind is a concern... Exactly.

cantfocus.gif

You don't have to feel threatened that someone is going to cut you down just because you haven't worked 4 years in gear shops and completed 2 NOLS courses by 19... only I do.

Ohhhhh You worked in a gear shop! And went to NOLS! Give it up King Kong!

Wind Shirts are more wind resistant and water resistant than, say, long underwear. So they're nice if it's misting or windy but you are still active. I liked them when I lived in California which is sunnier and warmer (in general) than the Cascades. didn't get so much use in Or/Wa

People arguing about the intracacies of clothing is dumb.

But talking smack to a know it all is not.

Sierra Designs Old skool "windshirt" which is a what people used to call a nylon wind breaker. It works good if I don't sweat too much. I recently got one of those Arcteryx soft shell, rain jacekt hybrid's and wore it all ay in the rain at index aid climbing and it was fine. Contrary to what nols dude thinks you aint gonna die if you don't have the right windshirt. And usually if it's raining hard enough to say, "damn it's really raining hard" you are going to get wet regardless because anything burly enough to keep you rally dry will rain on the inside.

Edited by COL._Von_Spanker

There we were. Twenty-five thousand feet about sea level. Within spitting distance of our goal. The clouds started to break up, and the summit was in sight.

My faithful sherpa knew my thoughts. He frowned. "Markinore," he said, "The wind. The wind is bad. Very, very bad wind."

Without changing expression, I reached into my pack and pulled out my Patagucci Houdini. A smile lit up his weatherbeaten visage. "Yes," he said, "Markinore will summit."

(Sorry. Watching too many Seinfeld reruns.)

Sport multipitch cragging: Squamish, L-worth, Liberty Bell group, etc - WT windshirt rocks!

Any outing with likely bad weather - from hooded windshirt to WPB shell depending on forecast, seriousness and personal experience. The latter must be gained - can only be done the "hard" way - do it, adjust, do again, etc.

Poor Doc though, what a bs squall, must be the global warming (or is it cooling wink.gif)