One day in Colorado

Timcb

I'm going to be in Boulder (which happens to be in a state with snow) checking out CU this weekend.

If you had one day to ski in CO, where would you go? I've gotten rather accostumed to WA's lift ticket prices (and am an aspiring grad student), so the big names are out. I prefer steep trees, but would like to get out in some nice bowls too, if possible.

Grazie!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say head for A-Basin or Loveland for cheaper skiing. More than enough terrain to keep you interested for a day. However, if Vail gets 10" or more the day you want to ski, head straight there but plan to spend $78 on the lift ticket and $16 to park. There is no free parking in Vail.

Take some mushrooms and solo the middle flatiron!

mushsmile.giffruit.gif

Yeah thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

If you're looking for skiing I would try and pick between A Basin, Loveland and Eldora. A Basin has the best terrain and the Polli lift rules. Loveland is pretty good. Eldora is really close to Boulder and there's some good skiing on the backside of the mountain.

I'd stay away from Mary Jane...boring. The other big resorts are mostly dumb though Keystone can be fun for night skiing and Breckenridge does have some fun lift served hiking.

Agree with the above. Skip Eldora (you'll prolly be a little dissapointed) and sure as hell don't buy into the Vail/Aspen hype- overpriced idiocy. Plenty of good snow elsewhere in CO. Loveland is nice (and closest), but I'd spend my money at A-basin, Copper or Breck.

I'd stay away from Mary Jane...boring.

Huh? How do you figure?

I lived in Colorado for about 10 years, and skied roughly 60 days a year. Everyone in this thread has it pretty much correct. Avoid the Aspens/Vails unless you're already there for something else, or unless Vail has a big powder dump in the bowls. For close to the Denver/Boulder area, Winter Park/Mary Jane and Loveland are your best and easiest bets. Loveland is still probably notably cheaper, but the weather and visibility can be sketchy there. A-Basin is a favorite, but mainly later in the spring. Like Loveland, stormy days can be a bit difficult there due to all the open terrain. I have no idea what the conditions are like there this year, but the Winter Park complex usually has pretty consistent snow conditions, and a huge variety of terrain. If you're into bump runs, then Mary Jane is your place. I skied there about 50 of my 60 or so days a year, not just because I mostly skied for free, but also because of its consistent conditions, proximity to Denver, and long combinations of bump runs that could be linked up.

i think that face is really called the kitchen?

yeah, taking someone who has been living at sea level hiking and skiing crust above 12k makes for funny pictures. i wish i still had them, do u?

what was that thing that you rode that time when my fucking strap broke? tractor bowl? where the hell was that?

there is too much easily accessible alpine terrin in summit co, paying is dumb.

Yeah there's some good hiking right out of the pass.

Paying to ski isn't dumb. You can get a hell of a lot more vertical at the area riding lifts. If you show up on a weekday there aren't going to be too many people there either.

It all depends on what you want that day.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I had a sweet weekend in Boulder and got to talk to and hang out with all the right people (I'm applying for an MS focusing on glacial geology the_finger.gif).

Sunday, the day I went skiing, I ended up having breakfast with a prof and his family, so didn't leave town till late. So Eldora was all right. Nothing to write home about and I just skied the Corona chair all afternoon. There wasn't as much snow as I thought there would be, but some of the glades skiers far left were fun. Good times