Flying to AK with skis

Jedi

The 1st time I flew to AK with skis, I just wrapped the bindings & ends with cardboard and got by with checking 2 bags & the skis. No extra charge for the skis as a 3rd bag.

Last year, I did the same thing but they charged me for a 3rd bag $80 (Continental, I think). On the flight home, the guy behind the counter gave me a break and did not charge me on the way home. But I unwrapped the skis a couple days later to find the end of one of my Chouinard's was broken off. You have 24 to turn in a claim. madgo_ron.gif

So this year, I have a new setup. 555's on some nice Dynafit's (sweet lightweight setup). Don't want them to damaged so I bought a big padded ski bag.

Now I feel Delta is probably gonna charge me $40 both ways for that big ass ski bag. They also have a limit of 62". Anything over that is $80 one way. So I have potetial to pay $240 just to check my ski's.

Is there a beter way to get the skis there that I'm missing?

Then tack on the $25 for any bag over 25lbs and it's almost like buying 2nd plan ticket.

Jedi

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems some airlines are charging for skis now regardless.

Delta allows for two checked bags, one of which can be skis at no additional charge - sounds like you need to pack two bags instead of three. Try carrying on da boots. Also, pack the crap out of the ski bag with clothing and softgear* - will protect the skis and get you towards the two mag min.

* be careful packing, sharp edges can easily tear the shit out of whatever their packed next to if not done right.

B-rock:

Yeah, I wish I could all my stuff for a 3 week trip into one duffle but I usually have 2 good sized duffles that are stuffed. Maybe I need a bigger carry-on so I fit my boots, GU's, camera, etc.... in.

I thought about shipping them up and back. The only problem with shipping them to AK is no having anyone to ship them too. I guess I need to check UPS & USPS prices for something that size & length.

Jedi

if you ship them, you can ship them to the airline you'll be flying with. TAT is the best this way. Call them, let them know, they will hold it for you till you arrive. you can have a bag with both pairs of skisand bunch of other items, like your fome pads and some lighter stuff. check with the airline what is the wieght limmit on odd size bagage.bar far the best airline is alaska. 2 thumbs down for delta.

UPS is only $103 to Anchorage and more to Talkeetna. So $206 to go with UPS.

USPS is much less at $28 to mail them to Talkeetna. So $56 is better than $80 with the airlines, as long as the postal service does not lose them. No perfect way to swing it.

Glass:

I see that they allow 1 pair of boots, poles, skis & bindings. They mention length at 62" max, which I can get by with I think, but maybe they'll let me shove my sleeping bag and one pad in there. Probably not much else.

I've also learned to choose to let them search & swab the bags at check in. They just put a wire tire on the zippers instead of a lock. Cheaper if they decide to look in your bags later. I buddy of mine had his stove taken this summer. This is after he had checked his bags. He had one of those notes saying "this bag was searched". I guess they don't leave a list of stuff they take.

Jedi

I see that they allow 1 pair of boots, poles, skis & bindings. They mention length at 62" max, which I can get by with I think, but maybe they'll let me shove my sleeping bag and one pad in there. Probably not much else.

Skis aren't subject to the 62" max requirement.

I ski in Alaska every year. I usually fly Alaska Air, but went up on Contiental this year. I have never had a problem checking skis. Except this year We had the big bag we always bring with two sets of skis/poles/boot etc. and Continental would not check it. They said they wouldn't check bags over 50 pounds period. Lukily I had an extra duffle and took out the boots and other ski shit, which made the ski bag less than 50 pounds. We were also under the 4 bag limit (2 people with 2 bags) after breaking out the extra duffle, so no real problem. Just FYI on the 50 pound rule at Contiental.

Heya Jedi -

You could ship them to me and pick them up here in Anchorage (although whoever you're flying with out of Talkeetna could probably hook you up as someone suggested upthread, too). I'll be out of the country Feb 9 - March 3, but am around this spring other than that. Send me an email if you want.

-b

I checked with Delta today cj001f. You were right. They don't make a big deal out of ski bag length. The girl I talked too said her and her husband usually stick both pairs of their skis in the same bag and no one has ever bothered them about it.

Ben, I just might take you up on your offer. Thanks!

John

if your using them for just aproaches and such in the alaska range, most people take just there bindings up there, go to play it again sports, buy a 5 dollar pair of PRE's, walk acrost the street to AMH and mount there bindings.

then, you can go to climbs like whe full west rib or the cassin where you carry over, take your bindings off, keep them and toss the skis into a crevass. then down the west rib.

if you actually want to ski, then you should bring your own. i have had 4 at a time in a ski bag moving back up there for the summer and they didnt really care. one time it was soo heavy i had to go behind the counter and lift it on myself (i got a really big ski bag) and they ddnt charge me extra or anything.

Maybe I am lucky but I have never been hasseled about my ski bag and boots. I usually pack in two pairs of skis and two pairs of boots along with one set of poles. I usually fly Alaska Airlines...hell, Hawaiian Air did not charge me extra this year when I flew to WA to ski. Maybe you just had a prick for a ticket agent.

• 3 weeks later...

if you want to ship you can also ship on the airline too. It is 89 cents a pound, regardless of dimensions, and often comes out way cheaper than USPS, FEDEX, or UPS. Alaska cargo is easy and convienient, and if the city you are flying from isn't served by Alaska airlines, you can take your bag to the continental or American cargo facility, since they are both partners. After you drop it off at the cargo facility, you can go catch your flight, then pick up your extra bag in skankorage just down the street from the departure terminal, at Alaska Air Cargo.