First Randonee Race Tips?

Bronco

Hola.

I'm registered for my first ski race (rec division of course) and wonder if you had any advice on clothing gear or whatever.

Some info on the course is a 2000' of skinning, 500' of steep bootpack, mostly level touring along a ridge top and 2500' of skiing to the finish. More detail at www.bridgerbowl.com under the "skin to win" event.

Any help is appreciated, I just don't want to embarass myself and have fun.

Maybe I'll settle for just having fun. blush.gif

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you had any advice on clothing

Dress as close to naked as possible.

gear

Use Dynafits, super light skis and light boots. However you'll probably just use whatever gear you have -- and that's fine smile.gif

Maybe I'll settle for just having fun

Sounds like a good plan and certainly regardless of what happens you most likely will. I posted a few tips to a similiar thread on TTips. That was right before someone suggested growing a 3rd lung, or since you don't have time to do that, just stealing one from a non-smoker. grin.gif

Anyway my tips:

- Get into your Dynafits quickly

- If there's one skin track, go out fast so you don't get stuck behind someone slower then you.

- Get behind F1 girl to admire her arse

- Pass F1 girl so she can admire your arse

- Have fast transitions

- Don't inadvertently push your toe-lock forward when adjusting your heel height

- Don't twist out of your Dynafit toes

- Know where you're going

- The checkpoint might not be straight above the bootpack, especially when there is no prior bootpack

- Don't pre-release from your Dynafits

From what I can tell (I've only done one rally) there's typically not many fast people in the rec divisions so you may do better then you expect. Make sure to go to the afterparty -- the raffles are fat.

Comments on race:

Being the first race organized and held in this venue, the organizers overlooked how long it would take for us to get to the top of the uppermost lift at the resort. They allowed 50 minutes to climb approximatly 2,000'. All but one of the participants in the rec class were DQ'd because we weren't above the lift when down hill traffic started. Most of us were close, but would have needed another 15 minutes for sure.

Because of the low turnout, everyone recieved a door prize.

All of the advice above was right on, only thing to add is that some of the participants were wearing goretex because of the stormy weather and they seemed to "bonk" faster than those of us who dressed lighter. Probably didn't help that I walked around the starting area stating "it sure is cold out here! and "I pitty the fool who isn't wearing his storm gear, it's FULL ON!" More tidbits:

Bike helmets are much lighter and better vented than ski helmets,

Don't carry anything that isn't required, (it is a race after all)

That's all.

• 5 years later...
Comments on race:

Being the first race organized and held in this venue, the organizers overlooked how long it would take for us to get to the top of the uppermost lift at the resort. They allowed 50 minutes to climb approximatly 2,000'. All but one of the participants in the rec class were DQ'd because we weren't above the lift when down hill traffic started. Most of us were close, but would have needed another 15 minutes for sure.

Because of the low turnout, everyone recieved a door prize.

All of the advice above was right on, only thing to add is that some of the participants were wearing goretex because of the stormy weather and they seemed to "bonk" faster than those of us who dressed lighter. Probably didn't help that I walked around the starting area stating "it sure is cold out here! and "I pitty the fool who isn't wearing his storm gear, it's FULL ON!" More tidbits:

Bike helmets are much lighter and better vented than ski helmets,

Don't carry anything that isn't required, (it is a race after all)

That's all.

I am agree with you. This is the good site and i read all discussion. This is a good topic. Even I get ideas for skiing dress which I must wear. Thanks guys.

Thread resurection eh? :)

Some other advice after five years of doing that race at Bridger -

Lightweight softshell pants, poly-pro top, windstopper fleece gloves and a light windshirt to put on once the climb was done. If feeling cold, go faster (work harder).

Shouldering skis and running for shorter sections instead of skinning was way faster.

Anyone know what the story is with the "Battle of the Mountain" at Stevens? Any course info?

Rach, why dig up a SIX YEAR OLD THREAD???

And Bronco, Are you talking about the ridge traverse or the bootpack? According to ISMF, it should be mandatory to fasten skis to pack for all bootpack sections.

Oh and the "Battle" is 3/12/11. Info here: http://www.bigmountainbattle.com/Venues/steven-pass/

VertFest is at Alpental on 2/12 and 2/13 this year, so come suffer and support a good cause!

Rach, why dig up a SIX YEAR OLD THREAD???

And Bronco, Are you talking about the ridge traverse or the bootpack? According to ISMF, it should be mandatory to fasten skis to pack for all bootpack sections.

Oh and the "Battle" is 3/12/11. Info here: http://www.bigmountainbattle.com/Venues/steven-pass/

VertFest is at Alpental on 2/12 and 2/13 this year, so come suffer and support a good cause!

I was referring to the ridge traverse. We were able to shoulder our skiis if they were strapped together. Thanks for the links. See you at Vertfest. :tup:

I'm glad this thread got drug up from the past. I'm doing the Skin to Win randonee race at Bridger Bowl this weekend. Here's the gear list I put together. This will be my first rando race.

Clothing

• Gloves - spring touring  

• Gloves - shell mits  

• Hat - merino wool  

• Helmet (either bicycle or rock climbing) 

• Jacket - windshell  

• Pants - softshell

• Shirt - super light hooded baselayer 

• Boots - soft snowboard boots  

• Socks - knee high  

• Underwear - merino or polypro  

• Sunglasses - shaded and clear lenses  

• Tights - merino or polypro  

Snowboard Gear

• Snowboard - splitboard  

• Binders - splitboard-specific  

• Skins - splitboard-specific  

• Poles - collapsible carbon fiber  

Avalanche Gear

• Backpack - small day pack capable of carrying board

• Shovel - metal avalanche shovel  

• Beacon - multi-antennae digital  

• Probe - collapsible, lightweight  

Accessories

• Water bladder / drinking tube  

• Watch - altimeter enabled watch  

• Sunscreen

I'm assuming you're open to feedback -

Suggestions:

Drop the following:

Shell Mitts (spring gloves should be perfect)

Hat (can use the hood on your base layer)

Base layer on bottom (keep your leg muscles as cool as possible)

Tights (shouldn't be necesary under your softshell pants)

Water bladder (most folks don't take 'em on this course and it's a significant weight penalty. just make sure to guzzle some sports drink before the race)

Use the Bike Helmet (should be lighter and better venting than the typical rock helmet)

Bring an insulated parka to wear until just before the start. They'll provde a garbage bag with a tag for your name to leave at the start and pick up at the finish line. Remember, the race only lasts about 90 minutes and you'll be working hard the entire time so being cold is much less of a concern than overheating. I've always approached this type of event with the attitude that my comfort is not really a consideration. If I'm running for for maximum performance, I can manage cold hands/thirst for 90 minutes. YMMV of course.

Hope that helps.

• 2 years later...

I heard a bit of complaining at Vertfest last weekend about having to strap skis to backpacks instead of shouldering them for the boot pack sections. I can understand the frustration as its time consuming to remove your pack, attach the skis, reshoulder the pack and repeat at the top of the climb to get the skis back off the pack.

Here's a simple and cheap mod (ie ghetto) using the Dynafit/CAMP carry system as a model. Sorry for the low quality pics.

Use a piece of cord or runner to make a loop big enough to accommodate your ski tails, attach it to either a low side compression strap or the bottom of the shoulder strap and attach a bungee & biner to the upper part of the opposite shoulder strap:

Pack_Mod_Full.jpg

When you get to a transition, slide the ski tails through the runner on your left side:

Pack_Mod_Lower.jpg

Then tip them up vertically, wrap the bungee around the upper ski and hook the biner to the far shoulder strap.

Pack_Mod_Upper.jpg

It's certainly not intended for carrying your skis on a lengthy approach but a feature worth having if you don't want to justify purchasing a Rando Racing pack but do want to speed up your transitions. It does take a bit to get used to but pretty fast once you get it down.