Dirtbag Tm?

layton

Mike,

I'm not a lawyer, but common sense tells me that your pretty safe from a lawsuit.

Dirtbag is a word. Nothing else. I don't believe that you can trademark a word. It's not like it's "Disney" or "Star Trek" or some other clearly deliniated word/logo that everyone knows. "Dirtbag" is a common word in the climbers lexicon.

In fact, I suspect that there are a number of places throughout the climbing world where the word "dirtbag" is being sold in some way shape or form. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I don't think you'll get a letter from a lawyer. But the guy might talk to one. And I bet that it will cost him a whole lot more than five bucks to find out that he can't legislate what words are on a tee-shirt.

Jason

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's sharp, he'll be watching those and will check out where his new traffic is coming from. Just thought I'd point that out in case you try the "but I never got your email" route with him if he persists.

After seeing the dudes face plastered all over is page. I'd be surprised if he could spell lawyer... But he probably is married to some cousin that was in court once...

Mike,

I'm not a lawyer, but common sense tells me that your pretty safe from a lawsuit.

Dirtbag is a word. Nothing else. I don't believe that you can trademark a word. It's not like it's "Disney" or "Star Trek" or some other clearly deliniated word/logo that everyone knows. "Dirtbag" is a common word in the climbers lexicon.

In fact, I suspect that there are a number of places throughout the climbing world where the word "dirtbag" is being sold in some way shape or form. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I don't think you'll get a letter from a lawyer. But the guy might talk to one. And I bet that it will cost him a whole lot more than five bucks to find out that he can't legislate what words are on a tee-shirt.

Jason

DIRTBAG

Goods and Services

IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: clothing, namely, casual and informalclothing, such as shirts, blouses, pants, shorts, underwear, shoes,socks, hats and caps. FIRST USE: 19951201. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE:19970601

Mark Drawing Code

(1) TYPED DRAWING

Serial Number

Filing Date

November 7, 1997

Current Filing Basis

1A

Original Filing Basis

1A

Published for Opposition

July 18, 2000

Registration Number

Registration Date

October 10, 2000

Owner

(REGISTRANT) Canning, Douglas P. INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES P.O. Box470775 San Francisco CALIFORNIA 941470775

Attorney of Record

ROBERT E HARTENBERGER

Type of Mark

TRADEMARK

Register

PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator

LIVE

yea, you can trademark a common word.

Cannondale bikes trademarked the term Free-ride when talking about biking

there is a traveling show that couldnt use the term freeride so they are now the Flo-riders.

what would the guy sue you for anyways, cant get anything if you dont have anything, right?

He prolly just wants all of Mike's harem for his own.

Hey Doc, you wouldn't wear a shirt that said "douchebag" on it? Damn, you're getting all mature and conservative in your old age. I guess Joe Strummer was right, "Every cheap hood strikes a bargain with the world, ends up making payments on a sofa or a girl." yellaf.gif

He prolly just wants all of Mike's harem for his own.

Hey Doc, you wouldn't wear a shirt that said "douchebag" on it? Damn, you're getting all mature and conservative in your old age. I guess Joe Strummer was right, "Every cheap hood strikes a bargain with the world, ends up making payments on a sofa or a girl." yellaf.gif

What was that song? "Douche or Glory?"

And hey, the sofa is owned outright, the lady never asked for a dime, and who you calling cheap? tongue.gif You must be working for some kind of douche-industry clampdown or sump'm.

I got this email... Michael, I would suggest you remove the Dirtbag tee shirt from your cafe

press store ASAP. We own the TM.

I would also like yo uto provide me with any and all sales reports for that

shirt.

Thanks,

Doug ******

If he doesn't sue you I will.

I find your use of the word slanderous to me personally. the_finger.gifboxing_smiley.gif