Wild Things Icesac versus Cold Cold World Chernoby

Dr_Crash

Assuming they're the same price (they're not), which would you pick? Climbing picked the Icesac w/ the Chernobyl a close second apparently mostly because of the helmet issue.

Has anyone seen both? How's the Icesac for emergency bivy (how much of an expansion collar)?

Thanks guys,

drC

PS: and what is CCW's Web site again?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cold Cold World

I have a Chernobyl and really like it ... I have never had much of the "helmet" issue others speak of and I have .... well a "high profile noggin" topped off with an Edelrid Ultralight brain bucket, nothing low profile about it.

My pack is an older version than what is made today ... perhaps the geometry has changed a little

I just went to Wild Things website, look like it just got an overhaul. Is the Ice Sac really $270 now ... WTF. I see they also have a new smaller version of the Ice Sac called the Ricesac ... shit it's still $250 Wild Things Ricesac

If I were to do it again I'd stick with CCW and save the 100 bones ... shit that half the cost of a good tool ... a set of skins ... 2 C4 Camalots

I dont know much about the Chernobyl but I have the icesac and love it. Somewhat lightweight, removable lid, all the features needed. The only downside is it doesnt carry heavy loads over about 35 lbs very well but you shouldn't ever carry that much anyway.

My IceSack, despite not having a frame, carries better than the frame packs I've used (including the Arc'Teryx Khamsin series). The stiffness of the foam padding and the very stiff fabric make for a pack with a lot of rigidity without a frame. I carry skis and boots on this thing in total comfort, which is pretty much the worse possible load you can put on a pack. I love this pack. But it's a bit big for daytrips, so I plan on sewing a smaller daypack.

I am unfamiliar with the CCW pack.

Assuming they're the same price (they're not), which would you pick? Climbing picked the Icesac w/ the Chernobyl a close second apparently mostly because of the helmet issue.

Has anyone seen both? How's the Icesac for emergency bivy (how much of an expansion collar)?

Thanks guys,

drC

PS: and what is CCW's Web site again?

I own the Chernobyl and love it. Never had a helmet issue with it; it's a great dayclimb pack. I've even overnighted with it, but it's easy to overload the carrying capacity, with the expansion sleeve 'n all. Love the waistbelt, too; very comfortable. Honestly, I would've considered the Icesac, but no one had one in stock at the time. Considering you can get the Chernobyl at 169 bucks here in Portland, I'd have a hard time paying 279 for the Icesac.

Someone here mentioned the BD packs; they're a good option, as well. When my "small torso" sized Chernobyl ended up being smaller in volume than the standard version (2500 vs. closer to 3000), I ended up needing a bigger, lightweight pack for overnights. I picked out the Shadow 55, and it made all the difference.

The small buckles didn't give me as much problem with cold hands as the reviews made them out to be. The Silnylon (sp?) material seems to be a bit fragile, but pretty waterproof for a rainy walk-out. Carries a nice sized load well for the weight of the pack (I did a carryover on Sunset Ridge on Rainier with it this past year, as well as a few overnighters in the Stuart Range, and it did great), and is very reasonable in price ( 3360 c.i., 179 bucks, I believe?) The only true drawback on it that I've had to deal with is the chest strap, which doesn't quite cut the "one size fits all" theory that they tout; my short torso makes it at the very bottom of it's adjustability (I took it off, and added my own standard style); oh, and the waistbelt, while very clean and uninhibiting, lacks reasonable padding, and tears my hips up a bit, after a couple of days on a climb. Do like the option of the ice clippers on the belt, though. Handy!

Well, there you have it. Too much coffee this morning; sorry if it's too much info.

Not one of the ones you asked about, but I'll give a vote for the BD Shadow. Just got this winter & I love it. Did a lot of research between the two you mention and the BD packs. Shadow seemed like the best compromise of capacity, weight, and function.

Just curious, have you hauled skis with it? I looked at the picture on the website and can't tell if those are compression straps or ski loops? Looks like a great pack, but BD's packs are relatively new and I hadn't heard that much about them.

CCW Chernobyl is a great pack. I like the fit and fabric better than the ice sack. I use it on overnight alpine climbs and find that it carries and climbs well even with fairly heavy loads. It is super strong and the design details are just right. It carries skis very well and has super long side compression straps that make it easy to strap a tent and full size sleeping pad to each side for approaches.

cold cold world packs are perfect. Randy Radcliff makes them in the Mount Washington Valley in New hampshire (not far from where wild things packs are made) I have the valdez and chernobyl. Love em both. I tend to pull out the chernobyl more, and its really an amazing pack. Everyting you need, nothing more. I think to use it as a bivy would suck, but could be done. But a forced bivy shouldnt be comfy. Get the CCW.

How can you make a rectangle into a square? (Confused.) And yes, I can always buy a different pad.

So far, the Ricesac (smaller Icesac) sounds like a good idea, or a Valdez modified to add the Chernobyl goodies (ice tubes, crampon patch). I think I can live with 40 to 45 liters and if I get 50-52 I know I'll fill them...

drC

I think to use it as a bivy would suck, but could be done.

Definitly not as good as a real bivi sack but I've done it on several occasions both planned and unplanned ... really not that bad. Pair it with a hip length shell and it works pretty good. I'm 6'0" and the Chernobyl bivi sleeve comes up over the top of my hip bones.

The Chernobyl pad is a nice thick square one, good to sleep or sit upon. I have the Valdez also, and love it. It already has crampon straps like the Chernobyl, and the ice axe loops are fine; no need to add the weight of tool tubes to this nice, smaller pack. The Valdez also has a pretty good sized extension sleeve, which is handy for the extra volume of a rack, rock shoes, etc. on approaches.

The Bora 80 is a radically differrent pack. The Bora is over-complicated, much heavier, and has a frame which makes the climber wearing it much clumsier, restricting movement.

I carry upwards of 60 pounds in a Granite Gear Alpine Light frameless pack, with no padded hip belt, occaisionally and find it to be as comfortable as any internal or external frame pack I have used. If the frameless pack fits right and is packed right it works fine. I try to keep my loads much lighter though; comfort is less of an issue than speed of travel. I have carried 45 pounds comfortably in my CCW Chernobyl as well. I am only 155 pounds, but my long torso fits a size large pack.

Ordered a ricesac. (Yes, dear SnowByrd, I made a decision and I won't and can't return it). Randy was fine with adding tool tubes to a Valdez (and I say Randy rocks for that! It is cool to offer to customize packs) but I want the ability to load 30 lbs in the thing. Once I get comfortable reducing my load to 30 lbs for an overnight I'll move down to something like a modified Valdez.

drC

• 3 years later...

Hello Cracked,

I do not live in the us, so it is difficult to shop for a backpack when you can have it in your hands to check it out, specially when the site doesn't provide many views about it.

So I was wondering if by any chance you do have some close pictures of your pack that you could share with a fellow climber.

I contact the sales team at WTG and they said they don't have any at the moment... not to great if you ask me, they also said the pack roughly measure about 27" tall, 13" wide and 8 inches deep.

27" tall is way too long even compared to other pack I own, including a 60lts Cilogear which is a tall 24". Do you have an opinion about this matter?

How does the pack behaves while skiing? or while carrying skis and the pack has only a low volume load like for a single day ski touring?

Thanks for your time and help.

Looking forward from your reply.

Cheers from Switzerland!