Alaska ice climbing gloves?

Kelsey

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which gloves did you use last time?

I have BD's Dry Ice gloves and they're very nice, but not warm enough when air temp is in the 20's (F), at least for me. I just picked up a pair of Cloud Veil Ice Floes, and I'm sure they'll be a bit warmer, but not a whole lot.

I'd be interested in hearing what other folks are using as well.

Of course, none of them are worth a shit when they're soaked...

I have used a combination of gloves up north and have had pretty good luck with the system. LIght fleece or powerstretch for around camp and fiddling with stoves and such. BD Drytool gloves for glacier travel and technical climbing when temperatures permit. BD Ice Gloves for colder technical climbing, BD Guide Gloves for when it's really frickin cold and I need some dexterity, and a pair of exped mittens for keeping my fingers alive when the crap hits the fan. Depending on the nature and length of the route I would have all or just a few of these pairs of gloves in my pack. Dry is key. Always have a fresh, dry pair handy because they will get wet. I usually have a spare pair of Drytool and Ice Gloves handy. Sounds like a lot I know, but in my opinion taking chances with your hands in a technical/committing environment is a bad idea.

• 3 weeks later...