Red Rocks Rendezvous April 18-21

climbandride

Is anyone out there headed to the Red Rocks Rendzvous April 18-21? It's put on by Mountain Gear--out of Spokane. I'm headed down with a friend that I just introduced to climbing, so I'm not sure if he'll be up to doing a whole lot. This means I'll be looking for others to climb with in the Canyon. (The major sport walls will be in use with clinics and such.) Also, if there is anyone out there who went to the first annual party last year, I'd love to get your input. I figure that even if the clinics and comps aren't great, Red Rocks always kicks ass and the parties should definately rock! Anyway, if you have input either way, hit me up!

Mellisa

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhmmm, what type of climbing? Well, I'm comfortable on anything through 11's for sport--following, but leading, mid 10's, although it could be more by them; and trad, pretty much anything through mid 10's, although I'm game to try most anything. I've spent quite a bit of time on some of the sport walls there, and have found that even the 5.8 multi trad multi present quite nice questions and are great fun, so I'm game for whatever. I figure that with my current training schedule, I should be leading 11's sport without any trouble.

Mellisa

I would be interested in grade III's and IV's w/ brief sections of 5.10 -though I lead 5.9. Aid up to A2 would be ok. I would love to explore up Mt. Willson and into the various canyons - Oak, Black Velvet, etc. to do rts I have not done yet. Smith or City of Rks could be a good break from driving - or were you going to fly?

jrh

I've never done any aid, so I would probably tend to stay away from it, but there's some great stuff that's smaller multi pitch--3 or 4 pitches on the same wall as the Prince of Darkness. If I'm correct, that's the Velvet wall. We're planning on driving, but unless my buddy who is going can get an extra day off on the way down, it's gonna be straight and hard driving. I have to be back by about 2pm on the 21st, as my boyfriend is returning home from 3 months at sea. He's super jealous he can't go with me to RR, so I'd hate to add to it by not being home when he arrives in port. Anyway, I'm game on another weekend hooking up and hitting City of Rocks or even meeting up at Vantage, Exit 38/32, or Levenworth to get a lil climbing in. Let me know.

Mellisa

Hey, that's my line! There's two of us driving, so we can take turns sleeping and driving. How long did it take you to drive down and what route(s) did you take? I'm thinking of hitting Frenchman's Coulee the weekend of the uhmmmm, 18th, if you want to meet up. It should be somewhat dry and slightly warmer over there.

Mellisa

Uh, I have the 21st to the 25th off from teaching with mid-winter break and all, so I could do a mid week thing. I'd really like to hit Exit 38 for some quality time, but it'll probably be too wet, still.:( Let me know and I can work my other work schedule around that week if you want to play during the week.

I noticed that Red Rock Rendezvous 2005 is scheduled for 18-20 March, not April. Did I get the wrong RRR? Are there two, one each month, maybe?

It would be even better to go in March.

Just as I was getting used to finding aproaches to 5th class alpine climbs here in the Cascades - here we are getting some more this wk-end. Argh!

435013-RedRocksRendezVous.gif.dd2f031b8992dd9e584206babbd9dc0d.gif

As of right now I plan on going, but we'll see. I have a wall to redo, garage to clean, stuff like that to get done before the 21st. It also depends on who I'd be climbing with, since I don't have the energy and am not ambitious enough to teach my newbie friend how to clean. I just don't know if I trust him enough...yet

Man, that'd totally rock! Right now, I have a weekend of climbing at Smith pllaned-- the weekend prior to RRR, then hopefully will be heading out Wednesday the 15th or Thursday the 16th early am. I've planned to climb with my Smith Rocks partner on the 18th or 19th, but I'd totally love to hook up and maybe get in a nice climb on the Velvet wall or???

• 2 weeks later...