Elbrus

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I climbed it in July of 2002 at the end of my Peace Corps service in Russia. It's just a slog, but it was still pretty awesome. There is a route up the other side from the standard route that is slightly harder, but not much. The hard part is getting around to the other side.

I organized the thing myself and led 3 other volunteers. We did it really cheaply, but we all spoke Russian to some degree or another and had trains and stuff figured out.

If you want to get up to 18k feet and climb one of the seven summits, it's a great destination. If you want a technical challenge go do Ushba or nearly anything else in the area other than Elbrus. Let me know if you've go more questions.

- OMB

I've been there 14 times over the last 5 years, summer and winter (mostly guiding). It's a lot like a huge Mt. Baker, but in an interesting part of Russia, directly on the border with Georgia. The Caucasus are beautiful. I've always enjoyed my time there, and have a lot of good friends in the area. If you're a skier/ boarder, it makes for a good ski descent. Moscow and St. Petersburg are great if you haven't been there. Email me your # and I'd be glad to talk to you about it.

Edited by crazy_t

I climbed it in July of 2002... I organized the thing myself and led 3 other volunteers. We did it really cheaply, but we all spoke Russian to some degree or another and had trains and stuff figured out...

Let me know if you've go more questions.

- OMB

Assuming I flew in to Peterburg, about how expensive would it be to get to Elbrus, do the climb and return to Peterburg? And how long would the climb take (Peterburg to Peterburg). I speak Russian with near-native fluency, so taking advantage of means to travel, booking reservations, etc would not be a problem...

Other options I am considering are coming in from Tbilisi or Yerevan.

I've been there 14 times over the last 5 years, summer and winter (mostly guiding). It's a lot like a huge Mt. Baker, but in an interesting part of Russia, directly on the border with Georgia. The Caucasus are beautiful. I've always enjoyed my time there, and have a lot of good friends in the area. If you're a skier/ boarder, it makes for a good ski descent. Moscow and St. Petersburg are great if you haven't been there. Email me your # and I'd be glad to talk to you about it.

spasibo bol'shoe.

You'd definitely enjoy yourself there then. There's some rock climbing in the area, bouldering, and amazing alpine climbing in the Caucasus, although access for foreigners into some of the mountains directly next to or in Georgia has been more restricted lately. But shashlik and beer, with a view like that, is hard to beat !