Lillooet Ice Un-Festival Saturday Feb 12/05

Don_Serl

would folks come to a slide show/party night somewhere closer,or is that too lame?

i'm in. there'd need to be beer. maybe the room upstairs at the Howe Sound Brew Pub? any other suggestions?

also, while that's OK for Vancouver/Squamish/ Whistler folk, it's a ways to go from Bellingham and Seattle. comments?

cheers,

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here is another suggestion. the gym in Everett had so called "dry ice". why don't they organize a get together. little friendly comp, then party/beer and slideshow. at least people can get a bit tired before hammering beer down.

looking at the weather page- Clinton is cooling off a bit on Sun., but who knows? and with majority of ice gone by now we will need a bit more then a week of cold temps to have any decent ice.

so how about it Cascade Crags? are you up for it?

(ps i really don't give a shit, since i'll be climbing in the Rockies for 2 weeks wave.gifmoon.gifpitty.gif)

colder, not cold. clinton is supposed to be -6 night and -3 day, this is lillooet:

A mix of sun and cloud. Wind south 50 km/h increasing to 60 gusting to 90 this afternoon. High 11. Tonight: Cloudy. 40 percent chance of showers. Wind south 60 km/h gusting to 90 diminishing to 40 overnight. Low 8. Wednesday: A mix of sun and cloud. 60 percent chance of showers in the evening. Wind south 40 km/h gusting to 60. High 13. Thursday: Cloudy. 60 percent chance of showers. Low 5. High 10. Friday: Cloudy. 60 percent chance of showers. Low 4. High 6. Saturday: A mix of sun and cloud. Low minus 3. High plus 1.

it's +9C right now in lillooet. the main issue is amount of daylight. with increase of daylight the temps must be much lower to couter melting during day. and i don't think there is any sense to fit 50 people in marble or oregon jack- the only 2 areas that have any chance of surviving this crap weather.

What's wrong with Oregon Jack? That's not rotted- that *looks* like just a devious line- HOWEVER Jesse's right about Nepopekum- now THAT was rotted.... 50m of WI7X on the right, clinging like wet toilet paper to the side of a frothy bowl, wouldn't hold a tooth pick, and shedding shaley bombs on the route.

Juxtapose: the falls above Derek were GREAT. Offered a 50m x 70m wall of everything. Where there's a will...

earthly

would folks come to a slide show/party night somewhere closer,or is that too lame?

i'm in. there'd need to be beer. maybe the room upstairs at the Howe Sound Brew Pub? any other suggestions?

also, while that's OK for Vancouver/Squamish/ Whistler folk, it's a ways to go from Bellingham and Seattle. comments?

cheers,

A big vote for this; allows for some emergency skiing or even *rock* climbing if this Tropical Punch weather continues thumbs_up.gif

Rumor has it (rainbow motel- Mount Currie) that the upper buttress ice in Joffre is in- easy albeit long hike considering no snow below 1600m. The upper wall ice is ? and no ice any lower...

Don, is it feasible to postpone an event like this for a couple of weeks? Send everyone out to any potential area to scope the best, report back, and amalgamate a plan by the 20th for the last weekend in Feb, assuming Dru's right, and the freezing level is decreasing by this weekend, and a week of cooler temps can quench our thirst?

Or, perhaps a deal can be made with the rich ice farmers up north (blackcomb). We bring them an ice fest, they get their facilities advertised (they're in need of business this year, and hopefully desperate). I've never been there, though, and have no idea what costs this might entail.

cheers,

A big vote for this; allows for some emergency skiing or even *rock* climbing if this Tropical Punch weather continues thumbs_up.gif

and jia won't have to drive all the way to everett.

yellaf.gif

Or, perhaps a deal can be made with the rich ice farmers up north (blackcomb). We bring them an ice fest, they get their facilities advertised (they're in need of business this year, and hopefully desperate). I've never been there, though, and have no idea what costs this might entail.

There was no climbable ice on Blackcomb last week either.

There was no climbable ice on Blackcomb last week either.

holy shit

high of 17 yesterday, the temp gauge had better be broken.

the link updates dynamically, so u lose the 17 degree reading, but the forecast is not very cold either:

Text Forecast from Environment Canada

Lillooet: Issued 4.00 PM PST Friday 4 February 2005

Tonight Cloudy. 60 percent chance of showers. Low 2.

Saturday Cloudy. 40 percent chance of rain showers or flurries. Wind becoming south 20 km/h in the afternoon. High 5.

Sunday Cloudy. 70 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 3. High plus 2.

Monday Sunny. Low minus 1. High plus 5.

Tuesday Sunny. Low zero. High 4.

and we know the ice was fucked a week ago...

plus yesterday i saw the first cherry blossoms of the spring in Vancouver.

i think it's time to face facts, and pull the plug on any lingering dreams that there'll be anything icy worthwhile to climb in Lillooet next weekend. seems like the "Un-Fest" has become the "Non-Fest".

maybe next year...

cheers,

Edited by Don_Serl