Lillooet Ice Un-Festival Saturday Feb 12/05

Don_Serl

greetings.

no, the season is NOT over. fact is, it's gonna get cold again, and be just superb for the next month (is my optimistic hope...)

as usual, plans for an official festival have fallen through, so i've once again organized a time and place to get together, tell lies to each other, brag, watch slides - and drink a whole lot of beer. the big event this year will take place on Saturday February 12th, starting about 7 p.m. at the Legion on Main Street. as with last year, please come prepared to pop $5 in the pot to cover the cost of the room rental - plus, this year - entertainment!

i've invited Jia Condon to show some of his superb photos - my assessment during preparation of West Coast Ice 2 was that Jia's photos were the finest of anyone's that i came across, so there's really something to look forward to.

mark it on the calendar, book your motel room now, and i look forward to seeing a bunch of you there!

p.s. the management at the Legion asks that no one brings alcohol in from outside. there were a few transgressors last year, and besides being against the rules (and law), frankly, it cuts into the money they make on the evening. the charge is very modest, so let's co-operate with them, OK?

p.p.s. if there is anyone who wants to add something to the festivities, drop me a PM and we can talk about working it in.

cheers,

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the management at the Legion asks that no one brings alcohol in from outside. there were a few transgressors last year...

I don't know who that could have been. I'm sure it won't happen this year.

bigdrink.gif

yah, i'm sure too...

whut doesn't get seen, doesn't get complained about, eh?

i'm just saying there's a good deal here for everyone - however, i don't recall how well they cater to those whose taste runs deeper than Molson's Canadian.

cheers,

Edited by Don_Serl

i looked up the forecast for the next 5 days. same crap. even Rockies is warm, +4C in Banff at the moment. at least there there is a lot of stuff higher and N facing, so some ice will be left. talked to couple of people there and the temps are starting to effect the ice. as far a littlewet goes i don't think much will be left in 2 weekends (judging by the pic by Dru). sad, really sad.

i looked up the forecast for the next 5 days. same crap. even Rockies is warm, +4C in Banff at the moment. at least there there is a lot of stuff higher and N facing, so some ice will be left. talked to couple of people there and the temps are starting to effect the ice. as far as littlewet goes i don't think much will be left in 2 weekends (judging by the pic by Dru). sad, really sad.

Oregon Jack thumbs_down.gifcry.gif

357ojmeltout.JPG

agreed. ice climbers tend to be keeners, but i don't think there are very many of us who are willing to drive 4 or 5 or 6 hours to crowd into the basement of the Legion to have a few beers, meet a few people, and watch some slides without some climbing to compensate.

with Jesse's report of Nepopekum [at 1350m] flowing, and Drew's photo of Oregon Jack [1100m elevation] rotted out, plus a forecast of continuing warm weather thru this week [2000m freezing levels at Whistler, who are having "the worst ski season in 40 years"], it looks likely there's not gonna be much to climb on the Feb 12/13 weekend.

rather than cancel right now, however, i'd like to cling to a faint hope - the forecast is for significant cooling as of friday/saturday. problem is, it'd have to go REALLY cold, and stay there, to re-form some of the climbs.

stay tuned...

cheers,