Climbing with Kids

ClipStick

Hi, looking for a group of climbers and partners who have small kids 1-6 years old and would like to plan some climbing for the summer. My wife and I live near Seattle, so X38 area would be the most reasonable. Also, Marymoor Park in Redmond would be a great place to break the ice, train, and maybe have a barbeque. It's tough with kids, but if we band together we'll have plenty of eyes to watch the little ones. Anyone is welcome as long as you love kids. yelrotflmao.gif

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great, where do you normally take them?? My son is only 1, so he's sort of hands on a lot of the time. I've been looking at X38, but not sure about the terrain and if it would be feasible for him to come along. My wife and I both climb and would love to meet up with some other's who are in the same situation. Gritscone is another place I think would be a kid friendly zone. Do you climb with a lot of people? When do you go? I've only got the weekends for the most part, so the crowds are an issue.

squamish and smith...sometimes index, lots of VW time

personally, i think x38 just totally sucks and won't go there even w/o kids

I dig Little Si though i don't bring the kids there due to the haphazard ground conditions (especially at launch ledge at ww1)...maybe when they are older...

New to the area as well with a 11 month old girl named Cheyanne. We would be really interested in linking up to break the ice and get out on the rock once it stops raining.

I sent more info to your listed e-mail. Send us some numbers if you are interested.

ChrisT-i think mine's safer with a rope and a harness compared to some of the dumbe stuff he does at home! shocked.gif sadly, he prefers to boulder. That whole business of lowering off the climb is just too damn scary. he's a helluva boulderer though. thinking about getting him a crash pad for his birthday hahaha.gif

wave.gif

Edited by minx

I'd be interested in something like this in the late spring or summer. Not necessarily a kidsclimb, but instead a climb-belay-kidwatch-climb rotation at the base of a route.

________

I haven't summoned the courage to take my daughter and let her run around the boulders while I climb on them. I guess it would have to be a flattish bouldering place without any roads, rivers, steep terrain, brush,or other hazards around. Anyone have good luck or bad luck trying this with a 2 year old? -Or is it irresponsible? Score some brownie points for watching the kid and also get some climbing in!

ChrisT-i think mine's safer with a rope and a harness compared to some of the dumbe stuff he does at home! shocked.gif sadly, he prefers to boulder. That whole business of lowering off the climb is just too damn scary. he's a helluva boulderer though. thinking about getting him a crash pad for his birthday hahaha.gif

wave.gif

my almost 9 year old is doing better and better with the lowering. Mt 6 yr old is pretty fearless. they both love to go climbing even when it means they play with stick and build mud forts while i climb cool.gif good not so clean family fun grin.gif

Hi, looking for a group of climbers and partners who have small kids 1-6 years old and would like to plan some climbing for the summer. My wife and I live near Seattle, so X38 area would be the most reasonable. Also, Marymoor Park in Redmond would be a great place to break the ice, train, and maybe have a barbeque. It's tough with kids, but if we band together we'll have plenty of eyes to watch the little ones. Anyone is welcome as long as you love kids. yelrotflmao.gif

Hi all (first post here to this board). If you folks with kidz are up for short roadtrips...my wife and I live just above Frenchamns Coulee (in Quincy) and our 4 YO does minor climbing (hopign for more this year)...and we have a 16 month old, that is not too far behind. Will be settign up our home climbing wall again this year, so more trainign for teh little 'ens.

Let me know or a PM if you are interested in The Coulee

The Russman

we take our son over to vantage regularly. if he doesn't feel like climbing or gets bored with it, he just plays happily in the dirt and rocks. we bring lots of snacks and he brings a few toys in his pack and we're good to go for several hours of climbing. even if the kids don't like climbing there's no reason they shouldn't go along. nothing like dirt and the outdoors for good healthy fun. thumbs_up.gif

Hi. We've been doing trips with kids to various locations over the past 5 years. I agree with a previous post that it's safest to have at least 1 person as the designated kid watcher and to trade off with that duty. It works well and is a cooperative effort between families. Kids need to be protected from rockfall, and I need to be more diligent about that.

We're planning a trip to the Tieton May 14-23. Anyone interested can let me know and we'll stay in touch as more specific plans are formed. Keith

My wife and I love the area out there and have climbed there a few times. Now that our son 13 months is getting over the eatting everything stage, it'll be easier to do some cragging. The coulee would be a good place. Relatively flat cliff bases and soft ground for the most part. Thanks for the open invitation. I'm glad to see people opening up. This was what I wanted to start. Family groups where some people can just hang out with the kids and some climb, then switching for a while. Things will change dramatically when the kids get to be about four and they can do a little climbing themselves, but until then it's going to be baby-sitting and climbing seperately.

I have a 3yo and 5yo. The older one loves to climb, but I haven't taken the younger one yet. My wife brought him by to watch us the other day and he just stood there in amazement watching his older brother. I think I'll have to let him take a whack at it pretty soon.

So far, we've just been climbing at the local gym. I guess it's too wet to get out much, and I don't really have any experience setting up TRs anyway.

Jeff